Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Washer has stopped working.... Can anybody shed some light on whatvhas happened to this carbon brush.... fully siezed up and looks like something has melted on to it. Have replaced the faulty one but still doesnt work.... other one is fine... just makes a humming sound in test mode when should be spinning
20210903_221413.jpg
20210903_221417.jpg

Sponsored Links
I'm sorry, I can't say what happened to the brush, but that's a right mess isn't it! :(
With destruction like that, there's a good chance that the commutator is also damaged.

Yes well i did have a look at that but im not sure how its meant to look. If the commutator is damaged would it require a whole new motor?

It shouldn't look anything like this:
upload_2021-9-4_0-19-11.png

or, have any commutator bars missing or lifted.

At £150 for a new motor, hopefully it isn't damaged.

Alternatively try and find a friendly local repair shop, who may be able to diagnose the fault, or refurb the motor for a realistic price!

Sponsored Links
That overheated mess and the fact it now hums but doesn't turn suggests shorted or open turns in the rotor.

Unfortunately that means a new motor, or more realistically, a new washing machine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back