Bell box not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When my alarm goes off it rings in my house on the unit but not in the box outside.
The alarm is an old OPTIMA XM
Battery gone?
Wiring?
Fuse
Ive no idea perhaps its totally bu****ered
Help if you can guys please
Pete

Sponsored Links
Its pretty much assured if its an old alarm that the rechargeable battery within the siren is fooked.
You may also find that if you ever experience a power cut your alarm will activate even if it seems to be working ok now.
Easy option would be to change the battery in the control panel and buy a new siren and wire it in exactly as the present one is.
Maplins are your friend for batteries...

as for the bell box.. search the web.
If that solution doesn't work then your problems are deeper but thats what I would always try first.

You will need to go up to the bell box and try circuit continuity on the 12v supply if you have a multimeter.

on a similar vein..

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=127891

How could a duff battery in the bell stop it working?

It is powered from the panel in normal circumstances, and would only ever sound from the battery if the panel supply was lost.

We don't know that this is an old system.

Guessing which parts to swap out on the off chance it is them seems like an expensive form of fault finding. :rolleyes:

It might be something as simple as a wire in the wrong terminal.

Sponsored Links
How could a duff battery in the bell stop it working?

It is powered from the panel in normal circumstances, and would only ever sound from the battery if the panel supply was lost.

We don't know that this is an old system.

Guessing which parts to swap out on the off chance it is them seems like an expensive form of fault finding. :rolleyes:

It might be something as simple as a wire in the wrong terminal.

We know its an old system because the op described it as an 'old' system.
If the battery is dead because the power supply isn't supplying it then we could have found the problem hence my suggestion of using a multimeter.
Yes you could save money by not swapping batteries but we all know that in 99% of cases in old alarms its just a battery problem.

If the battery is dead because the power supply isn't supplying it then we could have found the problem hence my suggestion of using a multimeter.
Yes you could save money by not swapping batteries but we all know that in 99% of cases in old alarms its just a battery problem.
And you are quite comfortable advising someone who at first hand, appears tohave little knowledge of what to do, to go up ladders, and pish about in a bellbox without warning them??

Hmm

And you are quite comfortable advising someone who at first hand, appears tohave little knowledge of what to do, to go up ladders, and pish about in a bellbox without warning them??

Hmm

Sorry forgot to mention earmuffs. oh and that 12v watch out . . its a killer.

Look just stop this personal crap . This is a DIY forum and the guy was asking how to fix his alrm without paying a pro...

So how does he do that without going up a ladder?

Sorry forgot to mention earmuffs. oh and that 12v watch out . . its a killer.
I take it from that statement you've never had a 'belt' off a flashing strobe when up a ladder? Not to be recommended .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back