Optima G4 alarm – strobe in bell box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can anyone answer a question for me please

I have just changed my 24 yr old Optima XM6 alarm and Lynteck bell box for an Optima G4 alarm and Reson8 bell box.

All has gone well as it was all pretty much ‘like for like’ wiring although I was not sure why there is no +ive wiring link now between the panel and bell box but have done as per instructions.

I believe all to be fine with the alarm box but I did have an issue when commissioning the Reson8 bell box.

Again, all pretty much ‘like for like’ wiring (apart from the +iv strobe)

I had an issue when I changed the battery link in the bell box from ‘OFF’ to ‘ENABLE’.

Firstly, I couldn’t isolate the alarm entering the alarm code but secondly the strobe did not work, LED 1 ‘battery being charged’ was not illuminated and neither were LED 2 & LED 3 (the indicators for ‘hold off supply’ and ‘tamper healthy’).

I replaced the battery enable link to off and investigated further and found that the alarm panel fuse for the bell & strobe was faulty/blown and replaced it.

Before replacing it and with the bell box link ‘OFF’ the bell box would not ring under alarm conditions from ‘mains power’. However, once the faulty fuse was replaced the bell box alarm did activate.

At the moment I am able to use the alarm with the bell box battery enable in the ‘OFF’ position.

The internal sounder works as does the Reson8 bell box, although the strobe still does not activate and the LED 2 & LED 3 (the indicators for ‘hold off supply’ and ‘tamper healthy’) are not illuminated.

My question is - when I fit the Reson8 bell box battery link to ‘ENABLE’ will this automatically enable the strobe under alarm conditions and the LED 2 & LED 3 bell box indicators to be lit OR should I be looking for another cause for these not presently working.

We’ve had our first substantial snow fall here and I’m trying not to get the ladder out again just yet

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds like it’s incorrectly wired you need to post pictures of wiring at both ends ...

Hi sparkymarka, thanks for a quick response.
I'm pretty happy with the wiring.
At one point I even by-passed it to run a 'fresh' cable between the panel and bell box (before i spotted the duff fuse - doh) to check that the cable was sound.
I've checked and double checked that it's wired as per the diagrams
Not knowing how the printed circuits work I was hoping that once I'd placed the internal bell box link to 'ENABLE' that this would bring the strobe and other LED indicators into play.
Thanks again - diyjohno

Sponsored Links
Hi again,
Sorry but the weather is too bad to get up to the bell box.
However I can assure you that it is wired up exactly as the diagram in the file attached.
Don't worry if you can't take this any further.
I appreciate your time. Thanks

Attachments

• Reson8 bell box.pdf
    853.5 KB · Views: 204

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back