Bell housing on cold tap turns but won't unscrew

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Can anyone make a helpful comment on a little problem with a cold tap? This cold tap has not been turned fully on for years, as, really, there has never been any need for it to be gushing water at full flow. However, it seems that this "lack of exercise" has made it go very stiff. Now, it only opens by less than one complete turn of the tap handle, and the flow varies with each attempt to get it to open fully. Sometimes, it is only a trickle and sometimes it seems reasonable for what we need in practical terms. However, it certainly cannot produce water at full flow, as a test. I am assuming that it may need a new washer, but, on trying to take the bell-housing off with a protected wrench, all the housing will do is turn — it shows no sign of rising or unscrewing at all, despite my having turned it several times. (Surely, it does not just pull off, does it?)

Ought it to show signs of being unscrewed, after turning it about five times, or am I just showing my ignorance?

Also, being on a bathroom handbasin, this tap is quite small. What size of washer ought I to order as a replacement?

With thanks in hopes of some saving information,
L.L.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Possibly. A picture could help as someone may recognise the tap and know how it comes apart.

OK,
20210220_173108.jpg
here is the picture. At a guess, the tap is about 20 years old.
L.L.

1. If the hexagonal shroud won't unscrew, yet turns reasonably freely, I can think of only two possible ways it could come off:
1a. It has a grub screw in it somewhere which stops it lifting. May be loose enough to let it turn, but not come off.
1b. It just pulls off.
2. Try putting a screwdriver or similar between the body of the tap and the shroud, and twist it. If the shroud lifts, it will probably pull off. If not, it probably has a grub screw. Put the screwdriver in at the back, where any marks you make won't be seen.
3. You may need to remove the handle. Unscrew the knurled ring right at the top, and remove the index (Hot or Cold). There will be a small screw underneath the index. Undo it and the handle will come off. It may take a good bit of coaxing if its been undisturbed for a long time.

1. If the hexagonal shroud won't unscrew, yet turns reasonably freely, I can think of only two possible ways it could come off:
1a. It has a grub screw in it somewhere which stops it lifting. May be loose enough to let it turn, but not come off.
1b. It just pulls off.
2. Try putting a screwdriver or similar between the body of the tap and the shroud, and twist it. If the shroud lifts, it will probably pull off. If not, it probably has a grub screw. Put the screwdriver in at the back, where any marks you make won't be seen.
3. You may need to remove the handle. Unscrew the knurled ring right at the top, and remove the index (Hot or Cold). There will be a small screw underneath the index. Undo it and the handle will come off. It may take a good bit of coaxing if its been undisturbed for a long time.
What you advise seems to be really helpful. Thanks for that! Have you any fairly sure size in mind, for a replacement washer? I should like to order a replacement before taking the tap apart (if it will co-operate). Also, I don't want to have to drag out the kitchen cooker, to get to the stop-tap, twice over, so I want to be able to do the renovation all in one operation, having the replacement washer ready to hand. Thanks again, mate!
L.L.

Thanks for the link, friend. A new development is that, last night, I gripped the shroud with my hand and turned it, pulling upwards. Eventually, it lifted! So that's one problem solved. However, since then, the tap will not emit water at all, so I shall have to see whether a relative has a spare tap washer. Otherwise, we shall be stuck without cold water, until he can obtain some for me, from Screwfix.
L.L.

Take a look at Tap revivers they replace the working part of the tap, lots out there screwfix, toolstation etc
Thanks, footprints — I had no idea that such things were available. However, I think I need to wait for my son bringing some washers, which I asked him to. It the gland has seized up (this would not surprise me), I should have to ask him to try to get some of these glands. For now, it's a time for patience.
L.L.

Your tap doesn't open more than a full turn ,so the valve is seizing up. Fitting a new washer is unlikely to cure this. It will need stripping ,and examination,to establish if it is serviceable .

Take a look at Tap revivers they replace the working part of the tap, lots out there screwfix, toolstation etc

When my son arrived with the washers, I found that it was about a millimetre too big, as the original washer was seated INSIDE the brass support washer behind it (this had been machined out so as to have a hollow "cylinder" inside it, to receive the washer). So, although it has been screwed up tight, I'm not sure that it can be trusted to hold for a long time (the screw is not long enough). It works fine just now, but when it's considered safe to do so, my son will fit a new pair. That way, there will not be any more trouble with washbasin taps in my lifetime!

Everyone's input is greatly appreciated, so my sincere thanks to all that have tried to be helpful.
L.L.

Footprints, on reflection, it seems a bit daft to think of buying new taps, after what you suggested (tap revivers). My only concern about buying those is that, with all the varieties of taps that exist, there may also be an infinite variety of replacement tap glands (revivers). My son would need to go to buy them for me (I am partially disabled), taking with him a photograph of the existing one, with measurements/dimensions shown. On the other hand, it may be that there are only two or three to choose from (based on a few regular sizes). I'm completely green about such matters, so please be good enough to answer two questions: 1) would it be safe to depend on photos showing dimensions, if my son were to do my shopping for me? 2) Are there many, many sizes and kinds of these replacement glands to choose from, or just a few? Thanks in advance,
L.L.

They are only two sizes basin ½" & bath ¾" some even have adaptors for both but stick with the correct size ones. avoid ¼ turn ones if possible (usually sold with lever tops anyway) you will not find ones with hex shrouds but get something similar remove the head, and swap the shroud over that usually works. They are cheap as chips so well worth trying as no need to crawl under the basin and buy a basin spanner just for one job unless you already have one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back