Bell housing on cold tap turns but won't unscrew

They are only two sizes basin ½" & bath ¾" some even have adaptors for both but stick with the correct size ones. avoid ¼ turn ones if possible (usually sold with lever tops anyway) you will not find ones with hex shrouds but get something similar remove the head, and swap the shroud over that usually works. They are cheap as chips so well worth trying as no need to crawl under the basin and buy a basin spanner just for one job unless you already have one.
Thanks very much for this info, footprints. This afternoon, as a precaution, I shall take out the gland (again) from the now-working tap, take photos and measurements, then put it back. Presumably, it will be OK until my son can go and buy one of those replacement glands for me (which may be a week or two from now). It's a great relief to know that it's not necessary to chose from a million different styles! I'm surprised to know that they have a shroud — I thought the shroud was part of the outer casing, only. I presume that you were referring to the replacement gland, when you said that I won't find one with a hexagonal shroud? Or am I misunderstanding what you said?
L.L.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes hex shroud is fairly uncommon.
Yes, I understand that, footprint. What I can't understand is that you seemed to be saying (above) that a replacement gland (as opposed to a replacement tap) will come complete with a shroud. I thought that only a complete tap has a shroud, and I am intending to buy, not a new tap, but a replacement gland.
L.L.

Sponsored Links
Tap revivers come with a shroud, a gland on its own doesn't.

Hey, friend, I'm learning all the time! I didn't know that a reviver and a gland meant different things - I thought the two words meant the same thing. Before I came onto this forum with my problem, I had never even heard of either. It's lucky that you set me straight on this, or my son would be asking for just a gland. The sad fact is that, if you don't know, you don't know. This forum is a life-saver! Thanks, denso13.
L.L.

Tap revivers come with a shroud, a gland on its own doesn't.
I had a look on the web at tap revivers, also tap glands. I don't think a reviver kit is necessary after all — all that seems to be needed is a replacement gland or valve, as the handle and casing of this tap is in very good condition. The shroud is solid brass, CP. My problem, now, is that, up to now, I have not seen any valves/glands of the same thread diameter as this one. The one currently needing replacing is 20mm (+ or - a few thou.) thread outside diameter. Also, I didn't know that the number of splines, or the diameter of the splne-peg matters (I thought all taps would be the same). Could you kindly give me a link (UK) to a valve of 20mm diameter thread, for a rubber washer? Thanks very much in hopes.
L.L.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back