Below flat complaint of my water leak? Why so sure??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok. A bit of a story here.

I had a complaint from the below flat about a leak from my flat? The baseman flat also complained.

Me - 1st floor
Complaint 1 - Ground Floor flat
Complaint 2 - baseman flat

So the situation is, Had a look at ground floor flat, the leak comes half way through her wall. If it was a leak of mine, wouldn't it come from her ceiling instead?

Baseman floor flat insisted that it is coming from my flat. I don't understand why they would be so sure. My floor is not exactly straight on top of their flats. So my question is why would they be so sure, and why would the water be leaking half way through their wall. How can they insist it would be my problem.

I inspected the property, there is no visual leak at all.

Could any one shed some light?

I know, I will need to get a plumber in to double check everything. But just want to get someone to comment so I know a bit more first.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Any chance of putting this down again more coherently? Perhaps some layout drawings?

But in short... Water can appear quite away from where the actual leak is. It can track along something for some way before emerging through the finished wall. Both horizontally and vertically.

We need a lot more information to help.

Hopefully you corrected all the faults to the bathroom tiling back in Oct 2016?

Do you have a water meter for your flat? If so you could do a quick check to see if the meter is clocking up any usage (when your not using any water that is) and that would give a somewhat confirmation either way. Also I'm going to take a guess that the basement tenant is saying the leak is coming from your flat because they have already spoken to the ground floor tenant who said its not them and probably your flat? Other than that ask the basement tenant to offer some insight as to why they know its from your flat.

Sponsored Links
Had a ground floor flat many years ago in a three storey block. Also had a leak from above which, after much investigation in the two flats above, turned out to be the flat roof and water pooling under the bitumen and slowly dripping down over days. So yes... water can take some weird and wonderful paths.

In a four story house the ground floor had water coming out of the walls just above floor level.

I tracked the leak to the top floor!

The boiler pressure release valve was leaking 1-2 litres per minute! But the vent pipe went into the wall but never emerged on the other side. It terminated half way through the wall and all the water was running down inside the wall to the ground floor!

I only fix boilers so don't know what went on but the damage to decorations at ground floor level was quite bad. It should also have been making the neighbour's wall wet to as they are an old Victorian terrace!

The top flat owner seemed very unconcerned.

Tony

Last edited:
In a four story house the ground floor had water coming out of the walls just above floor level.

I tracked the leak to the top floor!

The boiler pressure release valve was leaking 1-2 litres per minute! But the vent pipe went into the wall but never emerged on the other side. It terminated half way through the wall and all the water was running down inside the wall to the ground floor!

I only fix boilers so don't know what went on but the damage to decorations at ground floor level was quite bad. It should also have been making the neighbour's wall wet to as they are an old Victorian terrace!

The top flat owner seemed very unconcerned.

Tony

Did Dan R not encounter the same problem?

I've had all sorts over the years.

Trickiest one was a flat where the leak was tracking down a skirting board along a hall way and appearing on the kitchen some metres away from the bathroom on the same floor.

Turned out to be a dodgy seal between Bath and shower screen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back