Bench drill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I picked up this Nutool bench drill from a local charity shop for £2. It has surface rust and is rather mucky. The shop tested it and it works.
Any hints on anything I should be aware of?

Sponsored Links
Check that it is earthed if metal cased would be my first concern.

Then clean it up with a degreaser, and wire wool to remove any rust.

Not sure how to stop it re-rusting other than painting, which could be very fiddly.....

gritty dust in a shed or workshop encourages rust on bare metal. I stripped a car once and left it for some time. It went rusty but there was a bright patch where I had left a rag lying on it (not even an oily one)

Sponsored Links
Thanks all, I will get the wire brush out on it! To check that it is earthed, do I need to check in the motor? in the meantime, I will see what I can find in google. Here is a picture of the bargain!

Attachments

• IMG_2117.JPG
    IMG_2117.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 149
Doesn't the shop have to test all electric appliances before sale?

Doesn't the shop have to test all electric appliances before sale?
Yes they tested it and it worked. I have also plugged it in at home and it works, it didn't have a drill bit in but it was really quiet, I was quite surprised.

I thought it had to be safety tested which would include earthing. But you can't expect much for £2 ! Can you use a multimeter to check the continuity of the earth? Plug it into an RCD protected circuit for safety.

I thought it had to be safety tested which would include earthing. But you can't expect much for £2 ! Can you use a multimeter to check the continuity of the earth? Plug it into an RCD protected circuit for safety.

Nothing has to be safety tested. PAT is only an advisory, not a requirement.

The Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 require that any electrical equipment that has the potential to cause injury is maintained in a safe condition. However, the Regulations do not specify what needs to be done, by whom or how frequently (ie they don't make inspection or testing of electrical appliances a legal requirement, nor do they make it a legal requirement to undertake this annually).

http://www.hse.gov.uk/electricity/faq-portable-appliance-testing.htm

I have looked back on the messages from the shop and it has been PAT tested, so ok for me to use?
I thought they did some sort of test as all our recycling was going to a scavenging facility but people were taking stuff to sell on or to strip the cables to sell on! The local government have partnered up with a local charity so they fix/upcycle and sell the goods on.

You'll be OK if it's been PAT tested. You got a bargain there

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back