Bend or cut?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to reroute a rad in one room around three walls. I haven't done any plumbing before and was wondering wether most people use a pipe bender, cut and add elbows or a combination of both methods. What would plumbers advise.. taking into account too that i'll have to hire or buy any tools needed for the job.

On a related note, how do you change the direction of tube where it is already in-situ through a wall? i.e. i'll be rerouting it from being above skirting.. to being recessed in a channel in the wall.. is it possible to make a join to get that bend in the channel.. or do i have to cut the pip further back where it is easier to get to.. i.e. in the other room?

Sponsored Links
If you really must go around 3 walls you'll have to use elbows or it will look like something out of the tate gallery, cr*p. As for chanelling across a wall you'll have to be very careful that you don't go too deep and weaken it. Can you not lift your floor and do it below, or above ceiling height if on a drop feed.
In actual fact having reread your post, you've never done any plumbing and you've got no tools, equals you would be far better off getting someone in to do it. What you are proposing to do is a bit much for a beginner and you could quite easily mess the house up.

If you have a wall made of typical 4" bricks or blocks, how much are you thinking of channelling out of them? It might fall down :(

Or is it a plasterboard wall with wooden frame?

Thanks for the response. Its concrete frame, so this is my only option. I had thought to keep it all at skirting level in a nice spacey channel i would grind/break out. I've since seen though that it's only an upstand in concrete, brick above so will divert that way (having already done a few meters in the upstand, ouch!).

Any tips on the ring soldering? How much should i look to pay for a gas thingamijig and pipe cutter? How long should they cool before they're 'set'.. what other bits do i need?

cheers!

Sponsored Links
JohnD, none of the walls are load bearing but i have a channel gouge and will only be looking for 50mm or so anyway. Should i cover the pipes with that foam sleeve to stop the walls getting damp/condensation?

kaseryn said:
... this is my only option. ..

No it isn't. People always say that when it would be inconvenient or more work to do a proper job.

Is the wall bricks or block, and how deep you to intend to cut them away?

The only other alternative i can see would have been to put the channel in the screed, which would have been handily more direct in a way. But the power to sockets is laid in that, and i don't want to run the risk of hitting that.

You have various alternatives.i can think of three:

leave the rad where it is

surface mount the pipes

have your walls fall down

Which is worst?

I want it moved, and hidden. No need for the wall to fall down. Cheers anyway.

Kaseryn, I'm not trying to be funny with you but some jobs are best left to people who know what there doing. By the kind of questions you're asking on here you would be doing yourself a favour by getting someone in.

Oh ye of little faith! The plumbing part shouldn't be beyond a learner should it? Best way to learn is to do it isn't it? As for the channelling, i don't see what all the fuss is about. As long as i don't go too deep on the bricks, which arent load bearing and will be filled in after.

Suit yourself, hope you've got an understanding wife. :) Or your life is about to become very not worth living.

lol thankfully dont have to worry about that.. though i'm sure the neighbour might have something to say if i popped up on their side of the wall :eek:

It's funny how often the people who insist that something must be really easy:
1) reject what they're being told
2) need the most help
3) make the biggest mess of it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back