Bending 10mm copper pipe that leads to the radiator?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had the rad off for decorating (carpet, wallpapering & skirting being painted). We were supposed to have a plumber put it back on before the carpet was down but he let us down numerous times & in the end didn't show. (The side that's needing bending is the side I got off perfectly fine but he was fiddling about with it so I wonder if he's bent it out on purpose. Who knows but if it came off fine id expect it to go on fine).

I've linked this piping a couple times before when tightening up the connector to the rad (over tightening I guess in an attempt to be sure it's watertight) so I'm a bit uneasy about having a go.

I went to have a do last night & the TRV end lines up fine.

The other end though is a bit out. The pipe moves up & down but it needs to come more 'in' towards the radiator than what it is doing.

I know (from previous experience that I just mentioned) that these copper pipes bend without much force so I'm like I said, a bit uneasy about it.

Is there a nack to doing it? Would it help to grip a certain part or to not grip a certain part etc?

I've asked around for alternative recommended plumbers as has my wife but nobody knows of any.

Can take photos tonight if it helps of how far out the connection is. Not a massive amount i'd say but what's not a lot to me could be plenty to someone who knows.

Sponsored Links
A piccy for this one i think!

If its a small amount then bend by hand bit larger and i would use a spring or hand bender.

I've just noticed as I opened my email notification - I should clarify that the pipe is 10mm & not 10m lol!!

I'll get a photo tonight. Worst comes to the worst I think we'll get the handyman who we had out for some other jobs last year. I don't think a plumber is going to be getting out of bed just to connect up a rad. Plus we have some taps to swap round & a PIR that needs fitting for an outside light which should be ok for a handyman.

Sponsored Links
I got the connection in question off no problem but the TRV side was tight & the nut was right up against the skirting tightly. I had a go but after my first incident when I had water all over the living room floor (carpet was up & room gutted) I didn't want to risk it again so got the plumber out.

He was 'rougher' than me. But then he knew what he was doing obviously. The side I took off was weeping a bit so he worked on that side. I wonder if he just bent the pipe a tad as the brackets are back where they were.

Anyway I'll get a photo tonight.

As promised:

I took to it again tonight.

I pushed the pipe down into the ground & started pulling on it a little about 3 inch below the connector trying to pull it towards the radiator connection point.

I tried to push it on to the rad but it's kind of angled. I can get it to sort of sit on, but not line up as it's sort of 'looking up' at the rad connection side instead of 'looking at' it flush on.

So i started trying to bend it more so that it was straight but i was on the verge of is this going to kink it & split it or not, i'm really not sure.

Think we're going to need a handyman on this job because i can't get it to bend without thinking it's going to split & i don't fancy wrecking my new carpet.

Your radiator has been rehung probably now sitting more to the left of the brackets, if you could move it a tad to the right, you might be able make the left connection easier ?

I never thought of that. I'll take a look. There may be hope yet haha. Will let you know how I get on.

I forgot I ask:

Can you recommend a decent paste-like alternative to PTFE tape?

I tried wrapping tape around the thread of the connector to the left of the photo but with it being so close to the skirting even when I pull it away it's awkward wrapping the roll around the rear & so I struggle to keep it tight.

Whatever the paste is:

1) how much to apply?
2) apply to thread or inside the tubing?

Is it even necessary for that connection? Or did I just read PTFE tape+radiators & jump the gun?

Dont ptfe the thread it does nothing, paste or ptfe applied around the olive will help make a seal, some people will frown about using ptfe but is ok to use if you dont want to buy any paste, if you get paste i prefer jet blue and just use a smear.

I had to google what an olive was & if it's all right then the olive looks like some sort of brass ring. Whatever it's material & shape the diagrams i saw said it's located in the pipe that comes from the ground & in the connection that comes from the radiator.

So should i be pasting the bit i've arrowed yellow which comes from the rad (instead of the one from the ground that i thought)?

And the specific section is where i've arced blue?

Oh and just to let you know, sliding the radiator along on the hander a little did allow me to line the pipe up fine :) Thanks for that.

Not yet connected it all up though since i was going to find out if i've understood the area to be pasted first & then i assume B&Q or Wickes will have said paste?

The olive is captive within the radiator tail, and it's that which you need to add paste.
The usual sheds have what you need.
John :)

Yes the olive to paste is where you have put the blue mark, but on the outside obviously ;) good luck glad you have lined it up now!

Yeah 'obviously' because I was never going to paste where I put the blue mark & I was always going to paste around the outside of that :oops: :oops: :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back