Bending a brass float arm

Slacken off the gland nut (the small one below the turn handle) and get some WD40 in there...
John :)

Won't water leak out if I do this? Even if I have turned off the mains stop cock under the kitchen sink downstairs?

Sponsored Links
Even with all water fully on, there won't be a deluge, just a few drips. If you can get the stiff stopcock to shift and then turn it off, there won't be any drips at all.
Just slacken the gland nut one turn and then try to turn the tap.

Slacken off the gland nut (the small one below the turn handle) and get some WD40 in there......the stopcock doesn't look particularly old or corroded and I'm sure it will come free. You wont upset the soldered joints either.

I'm still battling with a seized stop cock in the loft.
I can undo the gland valve OK. Then I sprayed in a good dose of WD40.
But the tap won't budge!

Undo the gland nut and lift it up, then spray some 'plus gas' into the joint. It is the same(ish) as WD40, but works a lot quicker, halfrauds sell it.
Then try and turn the stop cock left and right, once the scale has come loose, it will move.

Or turn off water downstairs, leave kitchen tap open (cold) and change the stopcock or the body of the stopcock.

Or call a plumber :mrgreen:

Andy

Sponsored Links
Undo the gland nut and lift it up, then spray some 'plus gas' into the joint. It is the same(ish) as WD40, but works a lot quicker, halfrauds sell it.
Then try and turn the stop cock left and right, once the scale has come loose, it will move.

Or turn off water downstairs, leave kitchen tap open (cold) and change the stopcock or the body of the stopcock.

Or call a plumber :mrgreen:

Andy

Thanks, Andy.
I opened the gland nut completely and have tried a couple of hefty WD40 applications and left it overnight. But still it won't budge. So I'm not sure that Plus Gas will do it. Anyway, I'll look out for it.

Turn the mains off downstairs. Put a pair of grips on the handle and turn it, worst thing that can happen is it will break. But with the water off, you will be ok as it won't be an emergency.

Do that and come back to us.

Andy

worst thing that can happen is it will break.

Andy

Worse thing that can happen is that a nearby soldered elbow joint on the pipe run gives way due to being twisted. That's happened to me before, when I overtightened a compression joint and a soldered T-joint below gave way!

Thanks
Mike

But you have turned the water off downstairs!!! If something breaks, then fix it.

If you wont do what we tell you to do then you can only call a plumber to do it.

Andy

Hey Nige, to me this seems a pi$$ easy job.

Turn off mains
Refix or replace stopcock
Fit new float valve (parts carried in van, as always)
Turn on mains
Check for leaks.
Leave with cash in the pocket.
(opps...given invoice to customer, of course) :mrgreen:

Andy

Yeah - I was just having a :LOL: . I`d get that stopcock apart with 2 stillsons and substitute a new body from a B.S 1010 tap - or even a refurbished one I did earlier ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back