bending conduit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i am in need of help in finding info on all aspects of bending steel conduit,i did the usual learning at colledge 20 years ago,but since then i have never had to use it,but now i have been tupe transfered to a new company,and i have to be assessed on my skills, i am fine on everything except using conduit and knowing my luck thats the first thing i will be asked to do. is there anyone on the forum who can help me out.thank you

Sponsored Links
TUPE is there to preserve the terms and conditions of your employment.
If your job doesn't involve conduit work now, your new employers cannot demand that it suddenly does. (They could of course provide training on how to use conduit, if they want you to install it).

No different from your existing employer suddenly saying one day 'if you can't do conduit, you're fired'. Not going to happen.

the company that i worked for did not require me to do any installation work,it was mostly just changing like for like,repairing faults,and periodic inspection and testing, but the new company is 10 times as big, and they do some installation work ,so i might need some conduit bending information,ijust need to know the formulas on the measuring the pipe prior to bending in the former. anyone know this please.i would be so gratefull.

would you like a nice easy bending guide?

1:View media item 10602 2:View media item 10603 3:View media item 10605 4:View media item 10604 5:View media item 10601
well you're having it anyway... :)

To put a bend into conduit, the method depends on which end you need your measurement from... A or B ( fig 1 )

The following advice is based on your required measurement being to the back of the bend.

To bend from end B, you simply line up the measured mark with the outside of the former.. ( fig 2 )

To bend from end A is a little harder and requires a sacrificial piece of conduit (SPC) to obtain the required info..

Measure 500mm from end A of the SPC, place the mark at the back edge of the former ( fig 3 ) and bend to 90 degrees..

Now measure from end A to the top of the former ( fig 4 ) and this will be less than the 500mm..

The difference ( X ) is the measurement you need to add to your required measurement which you then line up with the back of the former ( fig 5 )

If you are working with an old bender that is not your own, you may find it has several marks drawn or notched into the former where someone has figured out that distance ( X ) in the past.. it's best to not use this as it's often subjective to the person doing the bending..
It may also be that the mark made is for bending to the midline of the bend or the inside of it..

If you need your measurement to be the center line of the bend..

From end A - Subtract half the diameter of the conduit from your measurement.
From end B - Add half the diameter of the conduit to your measurement.

If you need your measurement to be the inside of the bend...

From end A - Subtract the diameter of the conduit from your measurement.
From end B - Add the diameter of the conduit to your measurement.

Sponsored Links
thank you .you are a star, much appreciated,and i mean that ,i will be having a go this week. :D

unfortunately, there is not really much you can teach about conduit.. much of it is just "feel" and experience.. the more you do the better at it you get...

Just to add to what was said above - I was given a TUPE last year (Although I didn't take it up) Nothing can change from your current employment Money, type of work, pension, holiday, hours. Although I think it can after a 'reasonable' amount of time.
They cannot expect you to be sh1t hot at conduit if you are not currently doing it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back