Conduit bends?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m struggling to understand the on-site guide table for Conduit factors for runs incorporating bends and long straight runs. (Table E4 amendment 3 on-site guide) - I’m out of date and need to do my 18th I know, but it isn’t something I use as a maintenance engineer.
*This is just to get my head around the work I’m having done in a garage/utility extension.

So the table only references upto 4 bends in circuits. Surely this doesn’t mean there can’t be more than 4 bends? Or so I need to put a through box in in places? Are inspection elbows classes as bends or what?!

Also if my circuit lands in the table where no value is given, I take it that it needs re designing? I.e 3M run in 20mm with more than 4 bends - No value...

I’ve seen loads of conduit runs with long runs and bends all over the show at various sites I’ve worked. Is this just rough arses doing what they want on site because no one checks their work? How do domestic elecs get around it?

An insight would be great. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
So the table only references upto 4 bends in circuits. Surely this doesn’t mean there can’t be more than 4 bends?

It’s only telling you what you’re likely to be able to draw through reasonably easily.
If you’ve got more bends, you may or may not be able to get the wires through; if you’re a pessimist, play it safe.

If you’re going to pull through from an elbow then it doesn’t count as a bend.

I was taught to install an access point into conduit after every 180 degrees of bends and at least every 6 meters.

Sponsored Links
I always understood never more than 4 bends, so a double set each side of an obstruction was it, max of one length of tube between a bens and access point and never more than 3 lengths between AP's and that was when tube was 12ft lengths

I always understood never more than 4 bends, so a double set each side of an obstruction was it, max of one length of tube between a bens and access point and never more than 3 lengths between AP's and that was when tube was 12ft lengths
I was taught no more that 180deg between accessories or conduit boxes etc. So 2 x 90 or 1 x 90 & 2 x 45.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back