Bends in gas pipe to hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just been told by a friend that the gas pipe bends to the hob must not contain bends from a pipe bender. Change in directions are strictly by elbow joints ! can this be ture?

Sponsored Links
never heard of this one :eek: Quite often you have to put a set in the gas pipe to acheive connection :confused:

Absolute tripe

formed bends are better than endfeed elbows

your friend is mad

:)

Sponsored Links
In order to allow adequate clearance for a built-in oven below the hob it is sometimes necessary to use an elbow to bring the gas pipe from the hob directly back to the wall. This is probably what lies behind what you were told.

chrishutt said:
In order to allow adequate clearance for a built-in oven below the hob it is sometimes necessary to use an elbow to bring the gas pipe from the hob directly back to the wall. This is probably what lies behind what you were told.

but the friend said that you MUST NOT use formed bends, how can that be misinterpretated?

I didn't mean to suggest that what the OP had been told was right. It's clearly wrong, but I expect the misunderstanding originated with the oven clearance issue.

chrishutt said:
I didn't mean to suggest that what the OP had been told was right. It's clearly wrong, but I expect the misunderstanding originated with the oven clearance issue.

ahhh I see

never thought for a min you were saying he was right but i get your drift

amazing how these posters who have been told something "by a friend" :rolleyes: kinda of disappear when everyone shouts RUBBISH

:)

That reminds me of a industrial tribunal I attended. When the driver was asked why he had waited so long before submitting his case.

He said that a lawer had recommended he do it. When asked which lawer that was he said it was a "barack room lawer" that he had met in a pub!

He lost the case!

Cheers for the clarification guys. I thought it did'nt sound right. The clearance thing does make sense though.

However, his argument was that the bend causes a thinning of the pipe which is ok for water but not recommended for gas pipes

moe100 said:
.. his argument was that the bend causes a thinning of the pipe which is ok for water but not recommended for gas pipes
Bending does cause thinning of the pipe wall, but given that water pressures are often at least 100 times gas pressures, the above seems rather lacking in logic.

his argument was that the bend causes a thinning of the pipe
Mindless ignoramus.

I often use 8 or 10mm to connect hobs.
You might have noticed gas fires on a bit of 8mm...?

Think you can saftly tell your friend he is WRONG
Sure he's not on a wind up we have a friend down our local
that we tell this kind of stuff and giggle for hours..
We call him car park tony but thats another story(wind up) :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back