Bent stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope someone can help... I'm currently decorating my stairs and landing area ive removed the old banister/baserail/newels/spindles as they were all over the place. to find the stringer (i think its called?) to be warped (i presume) Its 1" higher in the middle than either end (when using a six foot level) now...what are my options? I assume this part pretty strucural so replacing isnt an option? Do I just plain it flat? Obviously if i screw a new baserail down to this it would be bent too...

Pic below. never done this so hope its worked... Its the right hand side one (furthest from wall) as you go up the stairs, not the side the level is now...

P1020852.jpg

Sponsored Links
unless u think there is a structural concern i would forget about it and press on putting the new in.

as long as the new base rail will sit down ok then the individual spindles will be cut to take up the difference and no one will ever know.

i know - it's quite amazing how things are out ie rooms are never square etc it's just building i'm afraid - bigger tolerance than most would expect.

unless u think there is a structural concern i would forget about it and press on putting the new in.

as long as the new base rail will sit down ok then the individual spindles will be cut to take up the difference and no one will ever know.

i know - it's quite amazing how things are out ie rooms are never square etc it's just building i'm afraid - bigger tolerance than most would expect.

Was planning on using AXXYS chrome spindles so all a set length, not purchased yet so dont know how much play is in the spindle brackets...

the chrome spindles do look top notch.

i've almost got to use them but cost has been a key factor hence i've used Richard Burbridge all wood kits (there is a website).

i would hope with the chrome spindles they could still be cut to length. care would be needed to avoid damage and hopefully the end caps (brackets) will cover to an extent.

to cut i would wrap in masking tape and use hacksaw.

Sponsored Links
the chrome spindles do look top notch.

i've almost got to use them but cost has been a key factor hence i've used Richard Burbridge all wood kits (there is a website).

i would hope with the chrome spindles they could still be cut to length. care would be needed to avoid damage and hopefully the end caps (brackets) will cover to an extent.

to cut i would wrap in masking tape and use hacksaw.

okay, so i'm a perfectionist and having a bent base rail and straight handrail just isnt going to happen... I'd always know!!! Want to do this right so i'm going to take a saw and plane to it I think...

from where i am looking the the level is sitting on the tread of the stairs!!!

do you mean the string nearest to the camera!!!!

if your string is bowing up by 1" i would not remove that inch without further checks as you are removing a lot of strength from the stairs
you would normaly expect around 1or 2 inch sag!!!!

it may bow up because of support wanted or unwanted by the structure underneath!!!!!!

from where i am looking the the level is sitting on the tread of the stairs!!!

do you mean the string nearest to the camera!!!!

if your string is bowing up by 1" i would not remove that inch without further checks as you are removing a lot of strength from the stairs
you would normaly expect around 1or 2 inch sag!!!!

it may bow up because of support wanted or unwanted by the structure underneath!!!!!!

Dont know what a string is but yes the level is on the straight one on the left. The right one is up by an inch in the middle. If it helps the stairs used to be completeley open in these houses. Nothing underneith, but the preveous owners put a cupboard under there...

If you look really close ive done a pencil line to show where straight would be...

Ive highlighted the line on paint...
dodgyline.jpg

Looks like i'll have to get a joiner in...

string stringer = each side of the stairs ;)

yes i see the line thanks how does the string against the wall sit level down or up!!!

it's quite amazing. thanks for the extra pic

those ends "stringers" are matched during the manufacture.

i can't believe putting the cupboard underneath has caused so much deflection/movement - bent upwards given the line marked

i can understand your desire for perfection (me too). i really would just leave it - no one will ever notice it and although it will be hard for u initially you'll forget about it in 6 mths.

as big-all says beware of taking material out unless there is adequate structural support at mid span.

yes i see the line thanks how does the string against the wall sit level down or up!!!

Thats what concerned me the one next to the wall is perfect! Not even a MM out...

I dont believe putting the cupboard underneath has done it either as the cover trim used (now off in the first pic) Actually hid how far out it was underneath.
The whole "stringer" (thanks) is warped as its the same thickness (depth) all the way up. (i.e. put the level underneath and theres a gap, put the level on top and theres a hump! And if I put a shorter level accross each step (tred) then they are level(er) nr the top and start to get worse the further down you go and then better torwards the bottom...

Thats what concerned me the one next to the wall is perfect! Not even a MM out...

the wall side is likly to be fixed to the wall so wont move ;)

as for the boxing in holding the string up i agree its unusual as the floor is more likly to sag than the string rise
but assuming the framework is a minimum of 2x2"and a possible wedge in fit over tightly fitted!!!!

is a picture of the understair structure posstble!!!!
is the floor wood or concrette under the stairs!!!

the wall side is likly to be fixed to the wall so wont move ;)

as for the boxing in holding the string up i agree its unusual as the floor is more likly to sag than the string rise
but assuming the framework is a minimum of 2x2"and a possible wedge in fit over tightly fitted!!!!

is a picture of the understair structure posstble!!!!
is the floor wood or concrette under the stairs!!!

You may be onto something here. Just ripped the dodgy hardboard from under the stairs off and...
P1020853.jpg

heres one upright support
P1020854.jpg

and heres another

but how, even if wedged in would this warp a stringer up by this ammount? And how do I make it straight again? Impossible? I was planning on removing this dodgy stud work to put up a thinner stud with plaster board rather than ply so I can get it skimmed when I do the living room, but presumably just removing it wont sort the issue?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back