Bentone Burner - Sterling 40 not firing

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
On startup, the burner would fire for a period of app. 10 second, and then cut out. It would attempt to restart and eventually cut out again. After about 3 resets, the burner would finally stabilise.

The problem worsened. Finally, after resetting would again, there seemed to be a sudden arc-across sound.

I have replaced the nozzle and checked the arcing contacts, but the problem persists.

I suspect that the ignition transformer could probably be faulty.

The burner is installed in a Firebird Boiler. To check if a spark is being generated, it looks as if I need to remove the burner from the boiler. Is it then possible to look for a spark when the burner is on the bench.

How can I check if an oil spray is being produced?

Any help would be most welcome

Sponsored Links
If oil is spraying the blast tube will be wet take out the burner turn it on you should see sparks straight away if so switch off if you have enough room let it fire up on the floor you'll see if the flame is sop sided if so swop nozzle if no fuel check pump and solenoid coil if no spark electrodes or coil. Good luck Bob

A wet blast tube does not necessarily mean fuel supply is not the problem. A pump that dribbles at about 40 psi will wet the tube but not light. 3 resets before 'stabilises' sounds like fuel supply problem. Check your filters.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back