Bentone Sterling 40 ST.108PL Oil Burner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
So the burner reaches temperature and turns off.
Then on the next demand for heat it locks out.??
OR
The burner cuts out mid burn and locks out trying to re ignite??

Last edited:
Yeah the burner cuts out mid burn and locks out trying to re ignite, do you think a new control box would sort it out?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Were I in front of the boiler. I would be checking for fuel release and an ignition spark at the electrodes.
The symptoms are typically those of a faulty coil.
Which boiler is it on.
Is the burner easily removed.

Were I in front of the boiler. I would be checking for fuel release and an ignition spark at the electrodes.
Which boiler is it on.

Thanks Terry for your input, I'll carry out a couple more tests tomorrow on it and get back to you
Thanks again

To check if you have oil the blast tube should be wet also check the electrodes are far enough forward they could have slipped back and they arent in the oil mist.Bob

Which boiler is it on.

Thanks Terry for your input, I'll carry out a couple more tests tomorrow on it and get back to you
Thanks again

Hi Terry,
Sorry for only getting back now, I did a few more tests and results below:
1: when burner is switched on , I am only getting 68 volts ac across the solenoid and it's not opening now
2: removed the burner from boiler and electrodes are not sparking and also ceramic insulation is cracked
3: also no oil spraying through the oil nozzle when requested
I hope this helps you further in resolving my issue
Thanks again
Gerkoss boiler

No1 check electrodes for continuity if not put on new ones check the leads if no good put on new ones if still no good you'll need a transformer put on new solenoid you'll also need to check the oil pressure at the pump, the sterling is a good burner if a little fickle.Bob

No1 check electrodes for continuity if not put on new ones check the leads if no good put on new ones if still no good you'll need a transformer put on new solenoid you'll also need to check the oil pressure at the pump, the sterling is a good burner if a little fickle.Bob

Hi,
Getting back to you with update:
1: I've changed the control box with brand new box
2: I've changed electrodes with brand new electrodes
3: I've changed photocell with brand new cell
4: I've changed oil nozzle with brand new nozzle

Problem still seems to be there, I am getting sparks at the electrodes now, oil nozzle is wet so I know there is oil coming from it, I don't seem to be getting 220v at the solenoid, Should I be getting 220v at the solenoid when burner is on ? I did continuity test on solenoid cable and all is good

If the oil nozzle is wet, then this suggests that solenoid is opening during ignition phase. The one thing you have ignored is what oil pressure are you getting at the pump? This could be your problem given what you have changed.

If the oil nozzle is wet, then this suggests that solenoid is opening during ignition phase. The one thing you have ignored is what oil pressure are you getting at the pump? This could be your problem given what you have changed.

How do I check the oil pressure ?
Thanks

Did you make sure the replacement electrodes were installed in the correct position?

As already said check oil pressure but make sure electrodes are correctly positioned

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back