bermuda vp3

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
i am having my firefront replaced on my baxi backboiler.the one i am fitting is a bermuda vp3.
the question i need answered is, the fire i bought is second hand and i didnt get a wire with it to connect the electric wires from fire to boiler.
would it be ok for the engineer to cut the plug from fire and directly wire it to a socket i have on the wall next to fire instead of directly to the boiler? the socket/switch on wall was put there for an electric fire.
p.s fire is being fitted by a corgi fitter

thanks

Sponsored Links
Te fire plugs into the socket on the base of the boiler.

What wire are you talking about

Sponsored Links
i have the plug on the boiler.i also have a plug on the fire.i dont have the wire to connect the 2 plugs.
can i just cut the plug off on the fire and lengthen the wire so it reaches plug on boiler?

thanks

From the plug and cable connection supplied with the fire
unit, the following connections should be made, making sure
that the appropriate cable clamp is used to hold the cable
firmly.
Connect the blue wire (neutral) to the remaining terminal
marked ‘N’. Connect the brown wire (permanent live) to the
remaining terminal marked ‘L2’. Route the green & yellow
wire (earth) through the cut-out in the socket housing and
connect it to the earth terminal.
The earth wire should be long enough so that the live and
neutral wires will become taut before the earth wire if the
cable is pulled.

thanks

so does this mean the person who is wireing it in for me,will be able to do this without buying another cable. i.e just use a 3 core cable and wire it to plug on boiler.then cut of plug on fire and connect new wire to wire on fire?

In theory the plug for fire should come from boiler electric supply , the theory being if someone working on it turns off fused spur he knows the entire appliance is isolated .If the fire has a seperate supply and nobody mentions it and person working on it does not notice he may get a Shock.

But have seen loads wired to seperate 3 pin plug with no problems not too standard though .
If you want the proper little plug for fire end go to wwww.partsarena.com/baxi and you should find part number listed in back boiler fire front section cost no more than a tenner

thanks all for the info
on closer inspection,i opened up the plug on fire and it looks like just standard 3 core cable i.e blue,brown and green.what i plan to do know is,take this plug off,connect new cable to where i took plug off,then connect other end to boiler as described in manual.
then in future,engineer should be able to just unplug plug on boiler to remove firefront for service.
will this still pass regulations?

Missed the bit you said you had plug . Use this ,
but then again you said corgi guy fitting it so he will know all this

yes i have plug on fire.i dont have the plug that fits into this.i dont have time to get the correct cable with plug as its getting fitted tomorrow morning. i could get an alternative plug from b and q today and change the plug on fire to suite this.

thanks again

i think i will probably have missed something here, but, what is the original fire? i have seen this before where the original fire didn't have independant electrics but like this a vp3 was later fitted and wired into the boiler plug, but this will only have power when the timer is on and sending power to the spur then boiler, there needs to be a seperate permanent live to power the fire lights/fan independantly from the boiler

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back