Best adhesive for MDF skirting and Architrave

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I will be fitting new MDF skirting and architrave to masonary walls. I'd appreciate some advice on

a) Best grab adhesive Ican use
b) best filler / caulk
c) Best method for attaching the skirting - glue and screw or glue and nail.

If I screw them in - whats the best screws (and where can I buy) and what method should I use i.e. raw plug?
If I nail them in - whats the best nails (and where can I buy?)

Lots of questions but I'm a complete beginner at this and appreciate some assistance. (You've kindly helped me on the mitre/scribing issue that I had - thanks to those!!)

rgds

Sponsored Links
1 gripfill has always worked for me although im sure there are other products out there.

2 i cant recommend a particualr caulk apart from the cheapest, all i will say is smooth it over with a good paintbrush dipped in water.

3 nails are always better than screws for this because you just cant hide screws like you can nails. i usually use masonry nails and give them two really good hits to get an initial grip then you can take em out afterwards with a claw hammer, making sure to protect the skirting with an offcut where the hammer sits on it.

The consistency of the grab adhesives are very different between makes. The thicker ones are bettre for grabbing, but the thinner ones are better for skirting as you can put loads on without it distoting the skirting when you press against wall.

just to confuse you it all depends, in my opinion, on whether the timber is being painted or stained, if painted then i would screw and plug as long as the screw goes under the surface of the timber by around 5mm, using this method you get a better contact between the back of the timber and the wall, thus leaving you with less unsightly gaps to be filled with caulking, but make sure you get a paint overable caulking, otherwise i would use gripfill and nails for stained timber and a filler that suits the stain/varnish colour. what is the skirting Taurus, Ogee, Chamfered, Pencil Round and what size is it?

Sponsored Links
Why ignore the best way to fit a skirting board ? 2"NO10 with Rawlplugs and the heads countersunk . No glue needed . If you are staining the timber then make some timber plugs to fill the holes . It's your house , why bodge it ?

Thanks all.
I think I will use MegaGrip and some masonary nails (50mm) Thanks Modern! - do you think these will be long enough after 2 whacks? (The skirting is 18mm thick)?

cheers
:) :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back