Best approach for tiles with uneven backs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just about to embark on tiling a large splashback in the newly built kitchen onto plasterboard. the tiles are hand made moroccan 10cm by 10cm.

The backs of the tiles are uneven and when face down slope to the middle, like a pyramid (will attach pictures).

Should I use large spacers between these tiles to allow for more adhesive or normal spacers as used for standard square ceramic tiles.

Do I need to make the adhesive extra deep to account for the slope to the face?

Any other recommendations for tiling with uneven backed tiles?

Thanks for reading.

Here some images of the tile, with a scouring pad for size

Sponsored Links
First of all I would sort all the tiles out into thickness of tile. For example put all the thickest ones together and the thinest ones together. This will make it easier when you come to tiling. Start with the thickest ones as then you'll be able bed the thinner ones out.

I would certainly be using a powdered adhesive like weber set plus or mapei p9. This will help for bedding out.

I wouldn't use spacers as the size of tiles will vary like mad. So i'd personally do it by eye or use pegs so you can adjust the tiles but would do a larger grout joint than normal because of the style of the tiles.

Thanks very much for the sound advice.

Not too sure if I can get those adhesives here in Belgium. I have done a quick google and see that they are modified cement based adhesives. Although they mention they they are good for low-porosity tiles, mine are pretty poros on the untreated backs.

I dont know much about tile adhesives (nothing :) ) but is there something suitable for poros tiles that you can set deep (I think you are recommending that I use quite a deep set of adhesive for the thin tiles correct? :confused: )

It is a splash back on, primered, plasterboard so needs to be waterproof to an extent I guess.

I will be using a larger space between each tile as you recommend though the faces are pretty square, at first look, so I may use fat spacers.

Thanks again for your reply.

Sponsored Links
Your welcome.

just look for a powdered cement based adhesive.

look for a c2 classification adhesive if possible which is the european standards. Most good adhesive companies have this on the packaging.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back