Best bathroom/kitchen extractor fan?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Not quite sure where to place this question, I hope it goes with the general bathroom/kitchen questions in here, but if not please help me move it to the right place.

I'm looking to install extractor fans for bathroom and kitchen. What are your recommendation for one that doesn't get clogged up and very noisy after a year or so? Also good design is a plus. All on the market I have been so far are much of the same. Hoping to find an innovative/well-designed solution.

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Yes, the Soler & Palau ducted fans, fitted above the ceiling, are very good, and the timer ones are best for a bathroom.

A kitchen does not need the same kind of extractor as a bathroom. Best results are from a cooker hood incorporating grease traps. It really needs to extract. A recirculator is nothing but an expensive ornament. A wall fan has to be much more powerful.

How big is the kitchen and how much money have you got?

Are you going to fit new kitchen units, and can you fit a canopy wall unit above the cooker? Is it on an outside wall?

Will you be having steamy showers in the bathroom? How often?

From a building control point of view, they don't really care as long as its powerful enough to extract the volume specified. In my old place, which had the induction hob in an island we opted for a filter extractor (70% cosmetic, 30% function), massive sliding doors, and standard 5" in wall extractor above the units, mostly out of sight. As long as it can do 60 l/s for the kitchen. AFAIK, its never been switched on, other than to test.

Sponsored Links
What about extracting from a bathroom in an extension with a flat roof? I guess it has to be a wall extractor? Plus, wiring it up could be messy due to no loft for wires?

If there is a bathroom light, there is a way. Plus even a flat roof has space for cables.

The S&P Silent ones are decent quality and quiet.
From experience I'd go for the intelligent timer ones in a bathroom which leave the fan running on for the period the light is switched on for rather than a humidistat. The latter ones have failed due to being clogged with dust or just being more complex circuitry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back