Best bitumen paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’m about to concrete some oak posts and wondered if anyone can recommend some bitumen paint to use on the concreted part?

Cheers,

Ed

Sponsored Links
Any, it's all the same stuff. But oak posts probably wouldn't need it anyway, they last for eternity.

I did not think bitumen is still allowed, I know my dad would bring home gallons of creosote, it was a by-product from the coke ovens used to make the coke for the blast furnace, and the coke ovens had about every nasty one can think of, so much was made from the waste, moth balls for example.

But today it is all banned, can't use railway sleepers in the garden any more to make steps etc. Well not the old ones, new ones are made for recycled plastic. There was a move to concrete for a time.

But in real terms we can't DIY the treatment anyway, they are put in pressure vessels to be treated so the treatment is sucked into the wood far deeper than any brush on treatment will reach.

It seems as soon as some good product is produced, it is banned. I hear all the hype about plastic, which means it will bend, and is nothing to do with what it is made of, but in the main it is made from wood, so a plastic sleeper is a super treated wood sleeper!

Sponsored Links
I did not think bitumen is still allowed, I know my dad would bring home gallons of creosote, it was a by-product from the coke ovens used to make the coke for the blast furnace, and the coke ovens had about every nasty one can think of, so much was made from the waste, moth balls for example.

But today it is all banned, can't use railway sleepers in the garden any more to make steps etc. Well not the old ones, new ones are made for recycled plastic. There was a move to concrete for a time.

But in real terms we can't DIY the treatment anyway, they are put in pressure vessels to be treated so the treatment is sucked into the wood far deeper than any brush on treatment will reach.

It seems as soon as some good product is produced, it is banned. I hear all the hype about plastic, which means it will bend, and is nothing to do with what it is made of, but in the main it is made from wood, so a plastic sleeper is a super treated wood sleeper!
I found Bituminous paint at screwfix so will go for that. Maybe it's not the "proper" stuff but an equivalent

Make sure you leave the bottom free of paint, otherwise you create a trap for any water that soaks into the wood, as well as running the paint 150mm above the soil line, as that's the bit that rots

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back