Best cable for external lighting.

I want give you any flak John but again with the costs, I think that the use of copper piping would quadruple the material cost in most cases.
It's certainly not cheap, and it's true that when I last did it copper was much cheaper. However, if one was talking of fairly short runs, it would not break the bank, even today. Even at today's retail prices 10mm or 15mm copper pipe plus 1.0mm² or 1.5mm² T&E works out at about £3 per metre.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
MIMS is undoubtedly the best cable but you will find that it's extremely expensive to buy. Although I picked up a nice deal on some CCM2L1.5 the other day.

Best to avoid using MI in conjunction with discharge lighting though as the high starting voltages can cause breakdown of the insulation.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-mts-Black-Covered-Copper-Pyro-Cable-3-Core-2-5-/160651191852?pt=UK_BOI_Materials_Supplies_Electrical_ET&hash=item25678ea62c
As you will have seen, the drum on which that cable resides says "Moisture Resistant MI Cable". I haven't heard of that - anyone know to what extent it is 'moisture resistant'?

Kind Regards, John.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Apart from any open ends it is incredibly moisture resistant.
Yes, but that's because of the sheathing, and applies to all pyro - I was therefore wondering whether this specific 'mositure resistant' description also relates to open ends?

Kind Regards, John.

I doubt it.

Cracking price, but I'm sorted for the cable I need to have a go when the time comes.

Apart from any open ends it is incredibly moisture resistant.
Yes, but that's because of the sheathing, and applies to all pyro - I was therefore wondering whether this specific 'mositure resistant' description also relates to open ends?

Kind Regards, John.
I recall that years ago, it was something to do with the white powder, and they stated that if the ends were left unterminated, moisture would not set in and a standard length termination, whatever that was could be carried out without having to cut any off, thus eliminating waste.
People were cutting back when FP cable came out and due to rising costs the demand was falling.
They then tried promoting using less fixing clips so instalation was quicker, this also failed and now sadly the cables use has become rare.

http://www.bizflips.com/library/pdf/AEI Cables/mic_brochure.pdf
Page four

Cracking price, but I'm sorted for the cable I need to have a go when the time comes.
When the time comes? Is it taking you some time to decide what you are going to say will be the way you'll comply with P1 when you apply for Building Regulations approval for that work in your shed?

Kind Regards, John

[http://www.bizflips.com/library/pdf/AEI%20Cables/mic_brochure.pdf
Page four
Many thanks. That's very interesting - they do, indeed, seem to be claiming that (unlike 'ordinary' MICC) this type is pretty mositure resistant even with unsealed ends. Is much of the pyro around like this, or is most of it the 'ordinary' type?

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back