Best cable for external lighting.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's probably been asked before, but hear goes.
What type of cables do you guys use, when supplying power to external lighting?
ie wall mounted security/floodlights.

Sponsored Links
I can't claim to have used it (for a start in my property I'll bend over backwards to avoid having cables clipped to the walls outside - I think they look horrible), but surely for a man of your standing, PBoD, Pyro should be the first choice?

:D

Sponsored Links
I can't claim to have used it (for a start in my property I'll bend over backwards to avoid having cables clipped to the walls outside - I think they look horrible), but surely for a man of your standing, PBoD, Pyro should be the first choice?

:D

Pyro; the extra cost and time consumed by making it off, really not practical.
But fair suggestion.

This question has been asked a lot but never really seems to get answered.

Pyro is a bit of a non starter for me as I have never used it, ( but would love to)
Its expensive if you can find any where that sells it.

What I tend to do is have the exit point of the cable very near where the light is to go so you don't have a long cable run.

FP200 I have used for longer runs (white)

Hi Tuff I have used once but it looks like SWA, needs to be cleated down as its a bit stubborn,clips wont hold it for long

Pyro; the extra cost and time consumed by making it off, really not practical. But fair suggestion.
I just know I'm going to live to regret saying this, but I've been known to use T&E inside 15mm copper pipe (earthed/bonded, of course!). Given a year or two's weathering (or a lot less with a little 'chemical assistance') it develops an appearance which blends quite well with many buildings (not unlike fat pyro), and it can be nicely attached to boxes etc. with compression tank connectors (or, with a little bit of splaying of the end of the pipe, as required, SWA glands can be used). Small cables would probably fit into 8mm or 10 mm Cu pipe (even more like pyro in appearance), but I haven't tried that.

Now, I guess, I have to look for my flak jacket!

Kind Regards, John.

FP200 works well. We used to use it a lot when I was pub fitting for the external sign lights.

It's available in white and black which suits most exteriors.

Bare pyro is really the only cable to use on stone.

a5e3486a.jpg

I've been known to use T&E inside 15mm copper pipe (earthed/bonded, of course!).
Now, I guess, I have to look for my flak jacket!

Kind Regards, John.

I want give you any flak John but again with the costs, I think that the use of copper piping would quadruple the material cost in most cases.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back