Replacement external light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I would like to replace two external ceiling porch lights with a wall mounted security light with sensor.

As you can see from the pic below, the cable is unlikely to extend. Could someone please advise how I would go about extending the external cable so that it reaches on the wall for mounting a floodlight etc? Is it possible to even buy ceiling mounted security lights as I couldnt find any on Amazon?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
To comment about extending the wiring, we would really need to know how the lights are wired to each other, where the main supply is connected to them, and how the operating switch is incorporated into the circuit. The original installer could have done this in a variety of ways.

The easiest solution may be to simply add a sensor to the existing lights. Most likely this could be done by running a single cable from a new sensor to one of the lights. But again to confirm, the above information would still be required.

Why do you suggest just a sensor on its own? With security lights so cheap and with integrated sensors, surely it would be easier just to get an all in one?

Could you pls point me to any recommended sensors on amazon?

Sponsored Links
Have you dropped one of the fittings to check how much slack there is? I always leave a good couple of feet of slack in the loft.

Why do you suggest just a sensor on its own?
Because you mentioned the difficulty finding "ceiling lights...with sensor" You are correct, they are getting more difficult to find; probably because they don't work very well. So if you want ceiling mounting, then may be best to keep what you have.

My experience of several in the past has not been good. Because they are covered by whatever they are fixed to, any inbuilt sensor is tricked into thinking it is darker than it really is and turns the lamp on prematurely. Then when the lamp is on, light is reflected from the same covering and the sensor thinks it is lighter than it really is and the light goes off. Even those with sensor adjustment will suffer at one end of the range adjustment. A remote sensor correctly mounted would prevent this happening.

Also, adding a sensor to the existing lights is likely to be a lot easier than removing the existing lights, terminating the existing cables, running new cables to wall mounted light positions, and then making good of the positions where the old lights were installed.

With security lights so cheap and with integrated sensors, surely it would be easier just to get an all in one?
Easier to install but harder to maintain and repair. And it is when repair is needed that easy of repair becomes important.

If an integral sensor fails then the whole lamp has to be replaced, separate sensors also enable better sensing of people. With an integrated sensor people can walk directly towards the lamp WITHOUT the sensor reacting to them.

The sensor I would recommend is the Steinel IS 180-2

Click for Steinel 180-2 data

EDIT I left the out in without out........

If I did want to extend he cable (assuming there is no slack) how easy would it be to extend and how would I go about doing it. I'm comfortable with basic wiring like this.

To answer your question, I refer to my original post.

To comment about extending the wiring, we would really need to know how the lights are wired to each other, where the main supply is connected to them, and how the operating switch is incorporated into the circuit. The original installer could have done this in a variety of ways.

Hi

I'm not sure to be honest as I bought the place 5 months ago. But logically, whatever cable is coming into the light, why would it be wrong to assume this cannot just be lengthened by joining it?

If there is just a single twin and earth cable to the light, then you should be able to to do just that.

On the other hand, it's not uncommon for several other cables such as the one from the switch and also a main supply cable to go straight to the light. Of course they could all go to a junction box inside the roof instead.

If the second light was added later, then the cable you can see in your photo maybe goes to that and the other three cables go straight into the fitting unseen from behind.

As already said, keep a light fitting on the soffit, and get a stand-alone sensor to go on the wall.

You would either need a 3 core and earth cable run between the light and the sensor (cable can be run above soffit if you get in the loft and stretch your arm out). OR, if it was me, I'd use a junction box in the loft, and work it so both the light and the sensor each only have one cable at them.

Far easier to replace a stand-alone sensor than trying to replace a complete light and sensor unit - as matching the other one could be 'tiresome'.

How much should I expect to pay a competent person to do this for me?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back