Outside light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'd like to install a low wattage (42w) security light outside; about a metre from the internal porch light. The internal porch light has a single cable going into the ceiling rose which then runs down into the wall studwork from the roof space (single storey extension). I can't see a junction box, perhaps its in the wall. Can I run a new cable from the connector blocks in the porch ceiling rose, throught the external wall to the security light. Presumably both lights will then run off the same switch.

Cheers

happyhermit

Sponsored Links
It would have been wrong for someone to put a junction box in the wall but that doesnt mean it hasnt been done :)
As for connecting at the ceiling rose, they dont usually have enough spare terminals to feed an extra light, and I think its considered a no no to put two wires in one terminal at a rose.
Regards

Thanks lazygit

How about putting in a junction box before the ceiling rose to take a spur off to the outside light.

Cheers

Theres no reason why you cant put two conductors into one terminal. Separate ones are better though. A proper ceiling rose will have spare terminals if there are only two wires (plus earth?) feeding the porch.

You can do what you suggest. Just remember that the security light will only be on at the same time as the porch light.
Dont forget to earth the security light!

Sponsored Links
Thanks TTC

Would it better to put a junction box in the roofspace to take the spur rather than from the rose?

HH

With loop-in wiring, the rose is the junction box. You'll soon find out what you've got if you have a look in it. (Power off, not just the light.) If there are four terminal blocks in there: two for the light itself, one earth and one other, you should find that the one other is permanent live. You can use this one, the earth and the neutral (one side of the light) as a supply for your outside light on its own switch. :) :) :)

But if the above is true, only a single cable, that cable will be neutral and switched live, which will mean the external light will only work if the porch light is on

Thank you all for the replies, much appreciated.

There is a single T&E cable coming through ceiling to the rose, red, black and earth. These are connected into blocks with the brown and blue pendant wires. Earth has its own block. There is a spare triple block in the rose labelled loop with no wires in it.

So I can just pass some 1 or 1.5mm T&E through the ceiling and double up into the N, L and E terminals? Then both lights are controlled by the same switch.

My other thought was cutting the wire in the roofspace and putting a junction box in there. Any advantage to doing this?

Cheers

HH

you have already said that, you still get the same answer.

but bear in mind as there is only one cable at the rose the external light will only come on when the porch light comes on

Beg to differ

My question was is there an advantage to me installing a junction box in the roof space. That has not been answered. I already stated that I thought the junction box was in the wall.

HH

no lines for me, (is there not an option for a poke in the eye with a sharp stick?) i am only pointing out to the op what he has already said, so i thought it a good idea to point out the obvious

A junction box must be accessible - it probably wont be in the roofspace. Use the ceiling rose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back