Lighting switches and terminal blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a porch light to fit - it doesn't have ceiling rose connections just Line, neutral and an earth connector. The light will be activated by a single switch.

I'm trying to avoid using a jb because of restricted access.

I plan to take the line (brown) from a nearby ceiling rose loop (using T&E) down to the Com terminal of the switch. I will also take the neutral (blue) from the same ceiling rose and connect it to a terminal block.

From L1 switch terminal I will run another T&E line (brown) upto the porch light. I will also use the neutral (blue) and connect to the terminal block at the switch and the neutral at the porch light.

Are you still allowed to have terminal blocks inside light switches?

Sponsored Links
note: you will probablly want to use a 25mm box if doing the wiring this way.

Sponsored Links
Unless you're using one half of a 2-gang switch for this light I'd advise using a double pole one; if you do at any time get a N-E fault due to water ingress or corrosion causing RCD trips you'll be able to fully isolate it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back