Best Connection for Hose Tail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We've got an outdoor tap fitted with one of them kits from screwfix where a hose pipe attaches to the hose tail fitting....

ae235

I have got the hose connected with a jubilee clip and also added some silicone before attaching it and around the fitting after, however its started to leak (not the first time)

I know the proper answer is to fit a new copper pipe all the way through, but we are likely to be having some work done on that outside wall in the coming months which will require the removal of the tap anyway, so just looking for a short term better option.

Is there anything out there that will give me a better watertight connection from a hose pipe to the brass connector?

Sponsored Links
Having just taken it apart, looks like i was on auto pilot when fitting it and wrapped the barb in ptfe tape. Im now thinking this is one of the few connections where its better not to use it and was probably causing less grip with the barbs and allowing the water past?

Did you push the jubilee clip and hose up sufficiently?

If you find it difficult to ease the hose up, fill a cup with boiling water, dip the end of the hose in for about 30 seconds. It makes the hose way more pliable and easier to push on.

You shouldn't need anything else. Just remember to turn off the internal tap when not in use. Hose pipes expand under constant pressure and often leak. In your case it will leak inside the house. If you had a hose pipe on the external tap, and let it leak slightly, it will relieve the pressure in doors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back