Best Fan For En-suite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to replace a 4" Manrose SELV fan for something that shifts more air.

The room is 1.7 x 1.6 x 2.3m

I'm trying to keep steam to a bare minimum.

The existing fan shifts 23.61 l/s.

The same fan in a 6" size shifts 63.89 l/s.

Ideally, I'd fit an in-line fan, but it's under a flat roof, so no go.

Which fan would you choose?

Sponsored Links
:)

I'm not a massive fan (ha,ha) of Manrose, back when they were quite new, I used to fit Greenwood Airvac, but I haven't installed any for a long while.

:) I'm not a massive fan (ha,ha) of Manrose, back when they were quite new, I used to fit Greenwood Airvac, but I haven't installed any for a long while.
I must say that I've mainly used Manrose (or shed-branded manifestations thereof) for years, and have generally been fairly happy with them - but experiences appear to vary a lot.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Just seen this:

Appears to have an impressive flow rate for a 4" fan. Would save bashing a bigger hole!

Xpelair Simply Silent LVCV Constant Volume SELV Fan.

I have grudgingly used Manrose on jobs in the past (where supplied by the customer) and I have one at home that was a snap purchase based on what was available at the time.

Whether deserved I don't know, but they used to have a poor reputation for quality and reliability and still get some poor reviews.

However, my experience of the one in the en-suite has been positive.

I think many fans are fitted to appease the LABC inspector and once completion certificate is issued are switched off at the isolator never to be used again. Dad's house had a collection of fans fitted, bought from sheds, and one did cause me a problem as trapped in the ceiling and failed before building inspector had viewed it.

However they were seldom used, if ever, and when I came to this house, I started to wonder why this house and dad's house did not have a mould problem, but my old house in Mold did. And I realised two things, one where the replacement air comes from, and second the thermals caused within the bathroom, and main problem was having a shower in the bath, as large gap below and above the shower panels/doors encouraged air flow so whole bath room became damp, but in other house the shower door closed at bottom so no thermals causing the water vapour to fill whole bathroom.

My first house had hot air central heating, ducted to each room, and vents in every door for the air to return, we all know there should be a vent to allow air back into the bathroom, but seldom are they fitted.

Dads house got the replacement air from a cold hall, so reasonably dry, the house with problem got replacement air from a very hot landing, heat raises and it was an open plan house, so landing always hot, so replacement air cooled as it entered bathroom so humidity would rise.

Last edited:
I think many fans are fitted to appease the LABC inspector and once completion certificate is issued are switched off at the isolator never to be used again.
That may well be true in general, but it presumably is not true in terms of secure's case (i.e. this thread), since what he wrote appears to very much indicate that he intends to use the fan regularly ...
Need to replace a 4" Manrose SELV fan for something that shifts more air. .... I'm trying to keep steam to a bare minimum.

Kind Regards, John

Yes, indeed John....I do want to minimise moisture in there. The previous fan ran every time the light was switched on and overran for the maximum (I think 30 mins?).

SX...have you installed any of these? Made any warranty claims? They have 5 years, IIRC....

EDIT:

What I'm after is a fan which:

is ELV
has a large extraction rate
is 100mm
is quiet

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back