Best fixing into concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to box in some pipes in my downstairs loo. The floor is concrete and there is a polyurethene sheet beneath the concrete acting at the DPM.

My question is what is the best fixing to use to fix the wooden batten to the concrete floor ? I'm worried if I just use concrete screws I may pierce through the DPM sheet as I am not sure how thick the concrete floor is ?

Any advice.

Sponsored Links
Ok that's good to hear so I won't penetrate the DPM. Will drilling a hole, using a wall plug and then normal screws suffice? Or are rawl plugs not a good idea and I should be using concrete screws?

Sponsored Links
Just use brown plugs and screws as Tony said.

The problem with concrete screws as Norcs suggests is that they are fully threaded and struggle to pull the workpiece home, unless you have things tightly clamped together.

This is why they are ideal for window fitting and fitters love 'em. The fully threaded shaft means that permanent spacers are no longer needed as the threaded shaft holds the window away from the masonry.

Would red plugs be ok. It's just I have a box of red that's all. If not I'll go and get some brown

The problem with concrete screws as Norcs suggests is that they are fully threaded and struggle to pull the workpiece home, unless you have things tightly clamped together.

This is why they are ideal for window fitting and fitters love 'em. The fully threaded shaft means that permanent spacers are no longer needed as the threaded shaft holds the window away from the masonry.

That's a load of tosh.
Haven't you ever heard of drilling the timber baton to allow clearance?

Or don't you have a set of drill bits? :LOL:

That's a load of tosh.
No it isn't. You will not pull two pieces in tight unless you have them tight together before screwing or if a gap exists when fitting the screw.

Window fitters no longer use frame fixings because of the way the conc screws hold the frames off the wall. They push the spacers in, fix the screw then remove them after.

You stick to ripping down shuttering boyo.

That's a load of tosh.
No it isn't. You will not pull two pieces in tight unless you have them tight together before screwing or if a gap exists when fitting the screw.

Window fitters no longer use frame fixings because of the way the conc screws hold the frames off the wall. They push the spacers in, fix the screw then remove them after.

You stick to ripping down shuttering boyo.

Nonsense.
You stick to building lego. :mrgreen:

If you were joining two pieces of wood together using screws would you use plastic plugs? :LOL:

If you were joining two pieces of wood together using screws would you use plastic plugs? :LOL:
Are you really that thick?

The reason wood screws have an unthreaded bit at the end is to enable workpieces to be brought together as the screw tightens.

Fully threaded shafts do not allow this and that is why concrete screws in particular have difficulty in bringing workpieces together that are not already clamped.

Jeepers you really are dumb. :roll

To the O.P: As said, brown plugs and screws. Sorted.

Are you really that thick?

The reason wood screws have an unthreaded bit at the end is to enable workpieces to be brought together as the screw tightens.

Fully threaded shafts do not allow this and that is why concrete screws in particular have difficulty in bringing workpieces together that are not already clamped.

Jeepers you really are dumb. :roll

You seem to think threads cause a problem.
They don't.

Brown plugs are the weakest holding method available. A slight pull and its off.

Quite the contrary. Whenever I fix windows we rely on the full thread of the concrete screw to keep the frame from pulling into the wall.

It is you who does not get the whole fully threaded, partial threaded thing, dumbo.

You really need to stop humiliating yourself on here Norcy boy.

Quite the contrary. Whenever I fix windows we rely on the full thread of the concrete screw to keep the frame from pulling into the wall.

It is you who does not get the whole fully threaded, partial threaded thing, dumbo.

You really need to stop humiliating yourself on here Norcy boy.[/quote]

You're just to lazy to drill the window frame correctly and use packers like the professionals do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XikWavpuBOU

Without packers you'll be risking distorting the frame!

Same with the batten and the multi fix screw. Drill the correct clearance hole.
But you seem to thick to grasp that simple concept.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back