best fixing into lath & plaster walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
whats the best way to fix a shelf onto lath and plaster walls? I've been told to use no nails, but just think it will rip the paper off.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
This is a tricky one, If you have the type of shelf where the attaching points are adjustable try to hit the studwork with your screws(easier said than done) If you screw into laths the screw should hold , if you miss the lath you'll need to use those spiral plasterboard type fixings, It also helps if the shelf is a rack type shelf where the forces tend to pull the screws down rather than out. not too sure I would trust no nails, or gripfill to attach shelves. good luck

if it's a shelf, I hope you can put the fixings in any convenient place.

Yes, go for the studs. You can find them by drilling a test hole, then pushing a piece of stiff wire sideways until it finds the studs on each side.

You may also sometimes be able to detect the nails, where the laths are attached to the studs, or you my be able to find them by knocking or pressing on the plaster to see where it seems more solid.

For some things, like radiators, you can put a couple of battens or a piece of ply along the wall, fixed to the studs, and fasten your rad brackets to the battens or ply. This can often be put where it will be hidden by the rad or other object

Sponsored Links
A little wrinkle for finding studs - get yourself a rare earth magnet, the sort they use in computer disc drives, etc. and "wipe" it slowly across the wall holding quite loosely whilst working progressive sweeps upwards by 1in or so each time. If the magnet gets near to a clout nail it will "freeze" - and the only place where there are nails in lath is where the lath is attached to the studs. Anyway, it works for me.......

Scrit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back