Best Gas system boiler and cost?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an Ideal Elan 2 which needs replacing. We have just forked out £250 on getting the fan replaced. Anyways its a 40k and we have a large 3 bed house which our plumber says we need something more powerful as heting up the hot water takes up 30 and each radiator would take up about 3.
So, can anyone recommend me a good gas system boiler and any idea roughly what it would cost?
We have had a few plumbers in for quotes but they are sending them in wiring and they all recommended different boilers - my head is spinning and I would like to see some recommendations in writing.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
I would doubt very much if you needed more than a 15Kw or 18Kw at the very most.

Standard HW cylinders are usually allowed 3Kw and I would also doubt that each of your rads need 3KW each.

I would be recommending a Vaillant Ecotec Plus 615 or 618 as a good general boiler, or the ATAG E22S for top quality.

It does not matter that the ATAG is 22KW as it works differently to most and should never operate at more than your system demands.

Agree with all of above. (not too familiar with ATAG though)

its a 40k and we have a large 3 bed house which our plumber says we need something more powerful as heating up the hot water takes up 30 and each radiator would take up about 3
Are those numbers kilowatts or BTUs; ie. is it a 40kW boiler or 40,000BTU?

If you want to install a combi boiler, then the hot water requirement determines the output - that could be where the 30 comes from. But you don't need to add any more for the heating, as a combi can only do one thing at a time: it is either heating water or heating the house; and a 30kW boiler would probably be more than adequate for your central heating.

If you use the Recommended Boiler Size Calculator you will find out the size boiler you would need if you have the traditional hot water cylinder and radiators.

Sponsored Links
As Dhalisham says the elan is 40,000 btu and not 40kw which is just under 12kw

I guess it must be BTU - see there was me trying to sound like I knew what I was talking about!!!

He also said Vaillants were very expensive and you are basically paying for the nam when there are other boilers out there which can do just as good a job. He mentioned one but I cant for the life of me remember what it was and it came with a 5 year full guarantee.

Any suggestions?

no, Im sure it had a B in it but it wasn't a Baxi coz thats short and Im sure I would have remembered it!! :LOL:

I just checked the plate on the boiler and its 40NF which is heat output of 30k kw 8.8 btu/h min to 40k kw 11.7 btu/h max

Still getting the Kw and the btus the wrong way round lisagirly ;)

oh blimmin eck!! I knew what I was doing but yep - just typed them the wrong way round! Now you know why I need help with the boiler! (and no, Im not blonde!) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back