New C/H system - recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we need to install a complete plumbing and central heating system in a new build and looking for recommendations.

Large 5 bed house with 3 en-suites and a shower room in the loft room.

Plan to install underfloor heating throughout.

What type of system would you recommend? Combi boiler and tank? Just a large combi? Mega flow or similar? Any suggestions?

We need something that will give good water pressure to the showers, run a dishwasher at the same time etc etc with a growing family.

Obviously we will be employing a plumber to take on the work but wondering what your suggestions would be. Thanks

Sponsored Links
A regular/system boiler with an unvented cylinder would be your best solution, assuming you have sufficient water pressure and flow rate. Look at Intergas boilers and Joule or OSO cylinders - a great combination that will allow you to run your UFH at a sensibly low temperature and your cylinder circuit at a high temperature for rapid heat recovery.

Thanks, the water pressure is not very good. Only ever lived in a small house with a combi boiler (no cylinder) so not sure what to be looking for.

Is it your pressure or your flow rate that is poor? They're two very different things and can have different solutions.

Sponsored Links
How about buying a pressure gauge, connecting it to an outside tap, and finding out?

Is it your pressure or your flow rate that is poor?

The system has to be compatible with what can be supplied from the mains. Without that information being put into the design process you may end up with a system that cannot meet your needs.

Most people on this forum will not consider a cold water storage tank ( cistern ) in the loft as part of the design for a new installation. If the mains supply is poor then a storage tank may be the only option, there is a "high tech solution called an accumulator which accumulates water and delivers it when the house needs more than the mains can supply. Size is important and the accumulator might take up a lot of valuable storage space..

Unvented central heating systems need a minimum mains supply pressure of about 1.5 bar if the unvented radiator system has to be (re-)pressurised using the filling loop. If the system pressure is too low the boiler may refuse to fire up. ( there are alternative ways to pressurise a system if the mains pressure is too low ).

We'd love to, but for some reason you just refuse to go away

Why should I ? If your opinion is different to mine and you want the person seeking advice to choose your opinion over my opinion then justify why your opinion is more value than mine. ( abusive and personally derogatory comments justify nothing )

If derogatory comments justify nothing then why post "most people on this forum will not consider a cold water storage tank" when you have no idea what the pros would recommend given that nobody has any idea what the flow and pressure are.

Why should I ? If your opinion is different to mine and you want the person seeking advice to choose your opinion over my opinion then justify why your opinion is more value than mine. ( abusive and personally derogatory comments justify nothing )
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but much of what you present as fact is so far from the truth it's unreal. Giving an opinion isn't the same as giving out incorrect and uneducated information

If derogatory comments justify nothing then why post "most people on this forum will not consider a cold water storage tank"
because that is the impression that comes from the majority of posts recommending a non vented hot water system with no storage tank.

It would be derogatory if I had written "most of the blinkered narrow minded people who earn a living by installing pipes in houses on this forum will not consider a cold water storage tank"

Could it possibly be that unvented cylinders are better than a vented set up ? as for blinkered and narrow minded you should join agile writing comedy sketches.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back