Best glue or ePoxy glue for water seal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a set of chinese bumper reflector LEDs. The front is the red lens and it's glued together with what looks like some sort of clear resin. However, after 1 and half years moisture seems to have made it's way inside the red lens. Even though I applied a thin layer of tiger seal sealant around the edge. So I'm thinking the tiger seal thin layer wasn't strong enough. So now I'm thinking to possibly use some sort of ePoxy. I wanted to put superglue but I've read that it's not water resistant and will break up when exposed to mosture and water. I've used 2 part ePoxy glues in the past which have also come of as a hard thin layer of glue. So question is, does anyone know a glue that I can use (ideally brush on) that can become rock hard and also seal the backing plate to the lens ?

Sponsored Links
Not brush on, but araldite type should work.

Probably as dear as new reflectors though

When my headlights were misting up I used clear CT1, it seems to be holding fine.

CT1 is hybrid silicone polymer. It does say the clear is not as weatherproof, but it’s working fine for me.

To let the moisture out, drill the smallest holes you can at the bottom.

I use a Dremel.

Sponsored Links
Something like this? https://www.screwfix.com/p/araldite-2-part-epoxy-adhesive-tubes-opaque-2-x-15ml/2457H

To let the moisture out, drill the smallest holes you can at the bottom.

I use a Dremel.

I ended up ordering a new pair as one side has stopped working and the other side has moisture in it. strangely the side with moisture is still working but the side with no moisture inside has died. That's why i'm trying to prevent moisture getting in again on the new pair. Even though i applied thin layer of tiger seal around it, it didn't seem to help, the moisture still got in.

Reflectors either reflect, or they dont. Not quite sure what you mean by not working.

Are we on about different things ?

But yes that type of product

Reflectors either reflect, or they dont. Not quite sure what you mean by not working.

Are we on about different things ?

But yes that type of product

These reflectors are aftermarket chinese ones that have the reflection lens inside but have an outter LED lit like a rectangler border. So the LED part of it has stopped working.

These reflectors are aftermarket chinese ones that have the reflection lens inside but have an outter LED lit like a rectangler border. So the LED part of it has stopped working.
I think you will have your hands full trying to keep wet and/or moisture out of that type of product.

I think you will have your hands full trying to keep wet and/or moisture out of that type of product.

Below is a picture of the unit. The bit that concerned me at first was where the wire enters the unit. The wire seems to be sealed with what looks like hot glue melt which is by no means water-tight. I did put tiger-seal around that originally. Then you have the bit where the lens meets the black rear housing. I originally just applied a thin layer of tiger-seal all the way around the two joints. Now i am thinking to scuff up the surface of both sections and then apply the epoxy.

EBOg6i6.png

Honestly I don't think think it is worth the effort, just replace when they die.

But silicone around every possible joint and hole.

Hybrid polymer can handle it.

I’d agree, you have probably been lucky they have lasted this long.
If you buy from china direct (not ebay from china), their stuff lasts forever. I am running china "fly pig" serpentine belts, car badge, engine gasket and rtv, AC refill. All fine for years. Their £1 wipers were crap, but the silicon wiper refills were great.

Last edited:
When my headlights were misting up I used clear CT1, it seems to be holding fine.

CT1 is hybrid silicone polymer. It does say the clear is not as weatherproof, but it’s working fine for me.
Being pedantic, CT1 is silicone free.

If you can't stop the water getting in, let it get out.

Sponsored Links
Back