Best heating and hot water system for a full reno terraced 3 bed house?

I guess generally speaking, someone with a new water main you would expect to have better flow/pressure, of cold water. Before committing to expense a pressure and flow test would need to be carried out. There are several ways this can be done

Yes, I think I'd worked that out, but it doesn't exactly answer my question.

Sponsored Links
Combi boiler will never give superb multi tap operation, despite what the incoming mains pressure is. Therefore if you’ve got decent water pressure on a 15mm incoming main, you’ll be ok with a combi- at one tap/shower/whatever at a time.

It can go in the loft.

Do not forget the need to install a condensate drain. Has to be installed where it cannot freeze up in cold weather.

If a combi packs up then you have no hot water. With a hot water cylinder you can have hot water heated by an immersion heater.

Sponsored Links
Combi's can be used in any setting IMO, as long as it is understood what its limitations are as far as HW delivery is concerned and the occupants can work a system around that.
Some new builds these days that have 2/3 bedrooms and are supplied with hi Kw combi's and electric showers as there isn't the space to install HW storage, again it just comes down to managing its use properly.

If a combi packs up then you have no hot water. With a hot water cylinder you can have hot water heated by an immersion heater.
If the lecky goes you are still knackered...Vast majority of combi breakdowns,I attend and repair same day..Bernard...

If the lecky goes almost everything goes.

If a spare part is needed and the replacement part is in the van or at a nearby stockist then most breakdowns should be resolved on the first day. But for too many people a same day repair does not happen. That applies to all types of equipment, not just combi boilers.

How many is too many? How many don't get a same day repair?

I have no idea of how many. No doubt somewhere there are statistics about mean time to repair.

I do know people in this village who, over the past few years, have been without heating for several day after the first visit ( and diagnosis ) from the repair man.

If the lecky goes almost everything goes.

If a spare part is needed and the replacement part is in the van or at a nearby stockist then most breakdowns should be resolved on the first day. But for too many people a same day repair does not happen. That applies to all types of equipment, not just combi boilers.
Including unvented systems etc..Your assertion that Combi boilers are only suitable for single occupancy flats is wrong.I have been mending Combi boilers many years and can count on one hand the number of times plumb center have not had a part in stock or next day at latest...And I am not exceptional.Your idea that unvented systems are perfect and never go wrong is wrong too..

I have no idea of how many. No doubt somewhere there are statistics about mean time to repair.

I do know people in this village who, over the past few years, have been without heating for several day after the first visit ( and diagnosis ) from the repair man.

So, Bernard, we've established you're not a heating engineer, nor a plumber, but someone who knows of a few cases in your village where a heating system repair took a couple of days.

I'm sorry to be the one who breaks the news to you - but you really ought to stick to rewiring three pin plugs and fixing Christmas tree lights.

Your idea that unvented systems are perfect and never go wrong is wrong

Where have I said unvented systems are perfect ?

Your assertion that Combi boilers are only suitable for single occupancy flats is wrong

From the document I linked to on another thread, ( which I admit is a very old site and I am surprised the head page is still there, the other pages relating to the training program are not available )

Generally Accepted Sites for Combination Boilers

Properties with a single bathroom.

• Flats.
  • Bedsits.
  • Starter homes.
  • Offices with limited hot water outlets.
Generally Unacceptable Sites for Combination Boilers
  • Large detached properties.
  • Properties with multiple hot water outlets.
  • Bedsits that use one combination boiler to supply several bedsits.
The exception to the above locations would be if the combination boiler were linked to a storage facility (cylinder). When this type of system is adopted it can be seen to defeat the object of the exercise.

and I think some people could be considering you have a closed mind,

In the face of such an incisive riposte such as this, I consider myself well and truly rebuked by the better man.

I salute you sir.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back