Best heating and hot water system for a full reno terraced 3 bed house?

Sponsored Links
I'll be honest and say I only understand half of the above :

Yes, I get the bit about 25mm blue MDPE being the best for an unvented set up due to the higher volume it can pass (although I also understood that both a decent flow AND a decent pressure is needed, and there's no mention of the latter).

BUT, if I've got this right, you've said if there's only a 15mm incoming main, then stick to a combi --- however I thought it was well accepted that a respectable incoming pressure and flow was required for a combi to produce a decent hot water supply (ie it can't supply more than it's receiving). And if there's only a 15mm incoming main then how is that going to be any better for a combi than it is for an unvented?

Usually with an unvented you also plumb in the cold from the pressure reducing valve so you have a balanced hot and cold supply. A 25mm water supply will give you plenty of volume for a good shower. There is no hard and fast rule on this, I fitted a 40kw combi on a 25mm mdpe supply to a two or three bathrooms house a big place I can't remember now.......the customers opinion the hot water performance was outstanding. Shouldn't have worked that good really but it did.
Go for a combi, cheaper, easier to install and an unlimited hot water supply unlike an unvented !

Combi boilers have moved on a great deal in HW output.

Too true, what is the latest rating , 45kW for hot water supply ? Good hot water supply.

But what about central heating demand....

Even if the boiler can modulate down to 1/10 for central heating then 4.5kW is still a lot of heat for a modern well insulated house.

Can the boiler maintain it's claimed efficiency over the entire 10:1 range of output ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back