Best Hybrid DIY Alarm?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We moved into our first house, and it had an old alarm system fitted that didn't work so naturally it got ripped out.

Part of the issue is that we need a hybrid system for PIR's and sensors. So a couple of issues/questions:

1) We had quotes for a LightSys 2 and a Texecom Premier Elite 48 and they're too expensive really. We need all new kit so 3 PIR's (2 wired, 1 wireless) 2 door sensors, 1 Window Sensor and then a sensor for the patio door. On top of that, we only have power for a controller box under the stairs, so keypad only systems are out

2) There is existing wiring in place, but they're not labelled. Is there anyway to test them?

3) What system would you recommend? Hybrid system and if has the ability to send notifications via an app and/or remotely disable/arm it, then even better.

I'm in the UK, so I'm struggling where to find the non DIY yale ones

Sponsored Links
Where are you in the UK and define expensive?

You wont be able to buy Light SYS 2 as its supplied by Risco and it is supplied to installers only.

The Premier Elite can be purchased online from many different sources.

Yes the cables can be tested with a mutlimeter set on continuity or resistance depending on what they are setup for but you may need a hand, if your existing alarm isn't working. If it is working you can do a walk test.

As for the App, I would use the com ip on the Premier Elite Panels.

The cost of equipment plus the cost of installing and programming = Total cost. Extra work may be required if the exisiting cable isn't any good.

Where are you in the UK and define expensive?

You wont be able to buy Light SYS 2 as its supplied by Risco and it is supplied to installers only.

The Premier Elite can be purchased online from many different sources.

Yes the cables can be tested with a mutlimeter set on continuity or resistance depending on what they are setup for but you may need a hand, if your existing alarm isn't working. If it is working you can do a walk test.

As for the App, I would use the com ip on the Premier Elite Panels.

The cost of equipment plus the cost of installing and programming = Total cost. Extra work may be required if the exisiting cable isn't any good.

So the quote was for :
  • Shock detection on Patio, Kitchen Window, Utility Door and Front Door (Wireless)
  • Control panel, bell box and pin pad using existing wiring
  • IP Module
  • Wiring of existing PIR in Study and Landing. New PIR wired into existing lounge cable
And that came to £630 plus £63p/a maintenance. I'm in Cheshire. This was with wired sensors etc though. Not sure how they'd get them to the control panel as its decorated.

Never thought about using a multimeter! The wiring itself for the PIR's and Bell box is fine. Had an alarm company come out who declared it was broken, however the PIR's, bell box and pin pad worked fine. It was the old door switches that had been removed causing issues. In hindsight, I think they ripped me off as surely you could just d/c the door switches in the control panel and reprogram it.... Oh well.

I'm quite tech savvy and clued up when it comes to anything like this, so programming it shouldn't be and issue. As for the wiring, so long as I can find out which cable is which, I shouldn't have any issues wiring it up either.

5 core burglar alarm cable, just match the colours into the correct slots and thats sorted.

If we went for an entirely wireless setup, is there any disadvantage to this?

Last edited:
I am based in Oldham near Manchester, the prices do not seem that expensive to me to be honest.

Don't know exactly what panel and keypad your being offered and whether there is any rewiring to be done, you suggest not.

I can see the parts coming to around £400+ but you can work that out using alert electrical web site for example and then the price for fitting. The way the panel kits are put together, it some times works out cheaper to be the kits and discard the bits you don't need than it does to buy all the parts individually.

Programming isn't hard if you know what it is you want the system to do and what it needs to do to function correctly, then its understanding the manuals that are usually written more for installers than end users, so you change the right bits.

Sponsored Links
I am based in Manchester Oldham, the prices do not seem that expensive to me to be honest.

Don't know exactly what panel and keypad your being offered and whether there is any rewiring to be done, you suggest not.

I can see the parts coming to around £400+ but you can work that out using alert electrical web site for example and then the price for fitting. The way the panel kits are put together, it some times works out cheaper to be the kits and discard the bits you don't need than it does to buy all the parts individually.

Programming isn't hard if you know what it is you want the system to do and what it needs to do to function correctly, then its understanding the manuals that are usually written more for installers than end users, so you change the right bits.

I should have mentioned that the setup for £630 was fully wired. I priced up a hybrid using wired PIR's and wireless contacts, with the ip modules and it came to about £580.

I'd rather the wireless so the new decor isn't ruined, but it's looking like I might as well just get someone in for the sake of a few quid (assuming trade prices are cheaper)

You'll be surprised, that trade prices are not so much cheaper (depends on what is being bought from whom) . Unless your a big company and even then you have other overheads which would take the place of the small savings.

As for décor ruined it depends on where things are being fed as to what décor is affected if any.

Find it hard to believe that someone is fitting a Elite Upgrade system for £50, hope you have checked there credentials. If they check out okay I would bite there hand off.

£50 for fitting an alarm, testing it and showing you how to use is dirt cheap. I certainly don't know anyone doing them that cheap, be interested to know who is doing them for that as we cover parts of Chesire.

The maintenance sounds like a basic package and we start those at £50pa, there is nothing to pay for the first year as its covered under warranty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back