Best insulation type for sound but still insulating?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I live in a semi with a dormar that continues all the way across both houses. I get a massive amount of sound from next door when they talk, babies crying even snoring... This was built in the 60's and it wasn't insulated at all. The outside wall resonates sound from outside and next door, I want to both fill the void (approx 75mm) for insulation purposes but I want to use whatever is best at stopping noise, even if it means I get slightly less insulation performance.

if that doesn't help I will then build a false wall on the shared wall (it is made of some kind of blockwork) to try to cut down there also.

Can anyone recommend the best stuff? I have a tonne of recycled bottle plastic insulation but I suspect that is rubbish at keeping sound out. My sleep is important to me so I don't mind how expensive the stuff is, I just don't want to do too much building work other than removing the plasterboard, filling the void and replacing it on the outside wall.

Thanks for any help

Graham

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice and the link. As it happens right now I do not want to start insulating the party wall (I just ripped a load of plasterboard off and found out a bit more). I have attached a diagram to explain... Basically i have a triangular roof void that butts up to my dormer at the front and rear of the house. This roof void continues right through to my neighbours dormer without anything in its way.

To make matters worse the plasterboard looks to be only 10mm and there is virtually no insulation for the walls attached to the void. This means I can hear an awful lot, often a lot more than I would ever want to... So, I have to find a way of stopping the noise as much as possible coming through that void, now the sound insulation material is very dense, would sandwhiching a lot of normal insulation between two pieces of plasterboard do the same job?

Looking at the second diagram, my plan would be to create a triangular wooden frame faced with plasterboard either side and filled with insulation. Attach that to the stud on his side and seal with expanding foam, then fill the void in the middle with insulation and finally create a second triangular frame and attach that to my stud. I woudl then insulate the outside walls to finish off.

Does this sound stupid, is there something different that may be better that someone can recommend?

One last question, the plasterboard I removed appears to be foil backed. Is there any reason for this? Assuming I properly insulated it would i need to replace with foil backed?

Sponsored Links
Hello people,

Does anyone have any answers re: the foil backed plasterboard? I need to know whether I can use regular board or whether you think it was used for other reasons than just for insulation..

Do my other ideas seem daft? :rolleyes:

Thanks

Graham

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back