Best LED Dowblights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What LED downlights do people recommend? After some 5 watt brushed chrome spots, which or where are the dest to buy?

Sponsored Links
Fittings: http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Lighting/p76299
Lamps: http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p80549

Avoid the integrated types, as when one fails in a year or three they won't be available any more and you then have a choice of having one odd one or replacing the entire lot.
Same applies to anything which uses non-standard lamp connectors, lamps with unusual lengths, custom LED modules specific to one type of fitting or anything else which is only available from a single manufacturer.

Agree with Flameport entirely. Those enlite lamps are the dogs danglies. Other people seem to like Megaman but those Enlites would be my choice

Really?! I would go for jcc led6 fittings. 10yr warranty. Quick and easy to fit too.

Sponsored Links
A 10 year warranty is only of any use if they still make and supply the exact same light in 4,5,6 or however many years time.

Agree with Flameport entirely. Those enlite lamps are the dogs danglies. Other people seem to like Megaman but those Enlites would be my choice
I would agree with you both (y) 100%

DS

The number on the product energy rating photo points to something a lot higher, but I'm about to find out.

The number on the product energy rating photo points to something a lot higher, but I'm about to find out.
It's all a bit confusing/inconsistent. The Screwfix listing says 5 kWh/1000h (i.e. 5W) and A++, whilst that label says 6 kWh/100h (i.e. 6W) and A+.

Kind Regards, John

There are 3 in a box. Full spec from the box:

5.5W GU10 220-240V
36 deg 650cd 2700k
30mA 50/60Hz
6kWh/1000h
350 lumen
A+ energy rating

Measured in bedroom, other lamps 50W halogen 1.5 meters away:

157 lux at floor (LED lamp)
70 lux at floor (halogen 50W lamp)

I think mother in law will be pleased. I'm going to get some more for the bedroom!

5.5W GU10 220-240V .... 30mA 50/60Hz ... 6kWh/1000h
There must be some slightly odd conventions about how those figures are worked out. 5.5W and 30mA implies a supply of about 183 volts, and 5.5W would obviously equate to 5.5 kWh/1000h!

However, they certainly sound pretty good, as well as very cheap!

Edit: having had a quick look, I suspect that the current Screwfix price may be either a mistake or a short-term offer, since the price is markedly lower than fleaBay prices for what look like the same, or very similar, Phillips' products.

Kind Regards, John

Last edited:
There must be some slightly odd conventions about how those figures are worked out. 5.5W and 30mA implies a supply of about 183 volts,
That is only true for DC or unity power factor AC.

240v at 30 mA with a power factor of 0.76 would also give 5.5 watts. LEDs rarely, if ever, have unity power factor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back