Best mechanical fixings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't have space for a stud frame, so will be attaching MR plasterboard to half-decent-ish masonry/cement render walls with a board adhesive.

But I also want to use mechanical fixing as the tiles I will use are quite heavy.

What type do you lot use/prefer or any recommendations for this job?

Thanks for any input!

Sponsored Links
These MR boards wont be on a shower wall will they? As MR boards are not water proof! They will be ok on the walls but not in a shower area. Should be ok "dabbed " on walls with p/b adhesive. You could drill and plug them with screws and large washers if you wanted to. The tile adhesive would cover them when you tile..Use stainless screws and washers.

Last edited:
Yeah, sorry should have mentioned Im gonna use hardie backer for the shower area.

Is it going overboard with dabbing and fixings or is that common?

Cheers Roy.

I personally wouldn't put fixings into a dabbed wall if the wall is sound, But it is an option if its a bit "iffy", So crack on with what you are doin, glad to hear you are using Hardie backer board in the shower, Must admit when I built my shower 17 years ago I used wpb ply on the walls then unibonded it and tiled it with 16"x16" floor tiles then used epoxy grout on it !!!! God how the times have changed,,

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I've used these before to fix a piece of foil backed board to a wall. They seemed to work well in brick/block but less so in wall made from stone/rubble etc. (Victorian House)..

Would work if you went direct to the wall I guess but wouldn't work if you dabbed as they would just punch through to the gap between the board and the wall. Unless you went through the dab............

If your tiles stand on the shower tray there is no weight on the wall at all. You can make them stand up without adhesive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back