Best method for positioning towel rail pipework before tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The new towel rail (en-suite) will be arriving this week and I need to sort the pipework for it - comes out of the floor, which is not yet screwed-down. My issue is how best to do this to allow for (small) error, as the tiles are not on the wall either i.e. I don't know exact thickness of tiles or addy, although I reckon it'll be 8mm tiles / square trowel.
The towel rail brackets allow for small adjustment and so I guess i can aim for tile thickness (incl. addy) of 12mm and then situate the pipework in the middle of the rail adjustment!? I assume also that I should do the pipework such that it has some give to allow for minor adjustment i.e. not secure it so well that there is literally no play!?
Any suggestions for better ideas would be much appreciated. TIA

Sponsored Links
You could leave your holes in the floor and tile’s bigger and finish the floor off with pipe collar’s this will give you some movement.

Sponsored Links
You could leave your holes in the floor and tile’s bigger and finish the floor off with pipe collar’s this will give you some movement.
Yeah I did think about that, but then I would have to leave some play in the pipe to make use of the additional space and I’m not quite sure how best to do that!?

I think I’d rather tile the floor first and then bring the wall tiles down over the floor tiles.
Tile the wall leaving out the bottom row. You can mount the rail and get exact pipe positions. Tile the floor then finish off the wall.

Tile the wall leaving out the bottom row. You can mount the rail and get exact pipe positions. Tile the floor then finish off the wall.
Hmm, never even thought of that approach. Thanks for the suggestion. You might’ve just saved me a ton of hassle!

Why? Makes no difference.
I should probably mention that whilst i have done an awful lot of DIY in my time, I have never tiled before and so I checked on the web and read a number of posts that suggested it was better to do it that way. Perhaps these were inaccurate statements!? Is there really no benefit to it?

We’ve recently done this. I got the towel rail fitted with adjusted pipe work through floorboards, adjusting the brackets to allow for thickness of wall tile and adhesive as you suggest (I think ours were 6mm so went for around 8mm).

Removed towel rail. Flooring and tiling done. With the screw holes in the wall I used a hole saw to drill a hole in the corresponding wall tile where the screw hole was (just to give me a bit more leeway rather than trying to line up a 6mm hole), but obviously a smaller diameter than my towel rail brackets.

Refitted towel rail adjusting brackets back down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back