Fitting a Heated Towel Rail prior to tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just looking for some advice here on a DIY project I am starting in a few weeks time. Basically I am going to cut into the existing CH loop (combi bolier) to add this heated towel rail as the old one was electric. So I got a plan to run the 15mm supply and return into the bathroom and cut a channel up the wall so that the pipework will come out of wall at about 800mm above the floor level and then connect to the towel rail. I know that you need to fix the rad to the wall first so that it is easier to line up the pipework. The problem is I am going to be tiling the wall afterwards and I will need to fit the towel rail on top of the tilework. Any tips & tricks on this would be appreciated i.e how to cut tiles, anticipationg the tile thick ness & how to make my intial pipework adjustable

thanks

Adam

Sponsored Links
I like to chase the wall out so there are 2 tails sticking out (chrome looks nice) that will go straight into angled rad valves fitted to the bottom of the rail

That way you see little pipe work and alls well hidden

measure the gap the pipe centres (in relation to where the rad valves will sit)...

have the pipes come out the wall horizontally at than measurement...more than you need and just cap them (solder better as smaller and tile will go over them easier)

tile the bathroom (protect pipe with gaffer tape) to drill out the holes for the pipework you'll need to buy some drill bits - from the tile shop ?..

when done tiling just hang rad, cutting pipe to size....pipe covers will hide the joint

Sponsored Links
measure the gap the pipe centres (in relation to where the rad valves will sit)...

have the pipes come out the wall horizontally at than measurement...more than you need and just cap them (solder better as smaller and tile will go over them easier)

tile the bathroom (protect pipe with gaffer tape) to drill out the holes for the pipework you'll need to buy some drill bits - from the tile shop ?..

when done tiling just hang rad, cutting pipe to size....pipe covers will hide the joint

gotcha and thx

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back