Best method to store DVDs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Morning Folks

I have about half a dozen family related DVDs which are of sentimental value. I would like to store them in a secure place and was thinking of places like:

DropBox, Cloud, Google Drive, Sky Drive, Amazon etc.

Which one would you recommend? What things do I need to consider in order to decide?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
All of the above, as well on disk? I wouldn't trust just one place for something very sentimental..

Sponsored Links
Install Plex and rip those CDs onto your computer. That way, you're free to stream the videos to your TV or mobile devices AND be safe in the knowledge you have the DVDs as redundancy/backup.

I had this same issue with my DVD film collection of about 30 DVDs going back to the 90s.

Ended up using PowerISO software to burn each DVD to the PC and it's stored electronically so if I want I can move them onto USB sticks etc etc.

You are better off buying an external drive and putting it all on there for safe keeping.

I would not use external server's to store your stuff. Despite what you hear about cloud I don't think it's safe. Anything put online is on longer private as far as I'm concerned.

External hard drives are a temporary solution. We had one fail at about the time our main PC failed.

Cloud storage are not secure, and not a suitable long term solution.

While both of the above are fine (and we use an external hard drives ourselves, including storing one off site), the best long term solution I have found is Blu-Ray. This is because it is based upon inorganic materials, whereas DVDs and other medias rely on organic materials somewhere on the systems, and can break down.

So to use a Blu-Ray as a data disk would seem to be a good long term solution, and store them in a safe location where they won't get exposed to any life shortening conditions.

External hard drives are a temporary solution. We had one fail at about the time our main PC failed.

Cloud storage are not secure, and not a suitable long term solution.

While both of the above are fine (and we use an external hard drives ourselves, including storing one off site), the best long term solution I have found is Blu-Ray. This is because it is based upon inorganic materials, whereas DVDs and other medias rely on organic materials somewhere on the systems, and can break down.

So to use a Blu-Ray as a data disk would seem to be a good long term solution, and store them in a safe location where they won't get exposed to any life shortening conditions.

Didn't know that myself. Good info

Seen this discussion a few times, whilst this isn't regarded as a backup solution as such i have used this for over 10years now and have all my valuable data backed up and secure.

I use a Qnap NAS drive, a twin drive unit which basically mirrors the data from one drive onto the other. Includes features such as smart monitoring which will warn you in case of any detected health defects. If you want to be even safer, i have setup Rsync which backs up my Qnap NAS over VPN to my parents house, just incase my house burns down or it is stolen. Therefore i have my data on 2 NAS devices x2 drives so 4 copies backed up, all without any tedious daily/weekly tasks. (ok the Rsync job is a scheduled task runnning on Qnap and that's it)
If you want more info ask away.

Sponsored Links
Back