Best methods for getting arund this problem!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, got a fuseboard to change at a hotel, (board is on a submain). Power needs to be restored at end of each day. Fuseboard has about 20 circuits.

Lots of rubber cable leaving fuseboard which is very brittle, when testing it I didnt dare move anything.. however not much rubber cable is evident at sockets etc, I havnt lifted floor boards yet, but I think the rubber runs from the fuseboard to the first point, then its PVC to the other parts. I believe someone has done a partial rewire in the past, but for some reason didnt replace the legs back to the mains.

So, my dilemma, the best way to replace the board in the day, and get circuits back on, without having bare conductors from broken insulation!

I am hoping to run a new submain to this board location (required anyway) and then change each circuit over to the new board one at a time, rewiring the parts required as I go. Cant see an easy alternative!?

Unless anyone else has a bright idea!?

Sponsored Links
Assuming you are right, and there is no more VIR than you think there is, which i am sceptical of...

Yeah, I think I'd be doing it same as you, new dist board next to the old one, pull in the new submain and gland off at the board.

Find the first point on each of the circuits which has to be re-wired to, and pull in a leg from here to new DB leave coiled up at the point and make the new board off

Disconnect feed to old board at source, connect in new submain test and liven up (lock off breakers/take lives out where open ends), re-fed the old board temporary from 63A breaker on new one.

Then at your lesure kill a circuit from the old board (barring in mind if there are assy flash pads then you might not be able to remove the fuses - so you might have to isolate the whole board, cut the cable just above the fuseway, connector block the stub and re-engergise the board). prove dead, connect the new cable at the first point, test and then liven up from the new board

I hope you are on day rate for this one when lots more VIR turns up :evil:

Yeah thats kind of what I was thinking.

I tested the place pretty carefully and removed most of the face plates to see where VIR was. Untill I get floor boards up tho yes it is difficult to tell!

Customer wanted a quote.. I said no way its on day works, but gave them a rough guide price. If I discover much more in the way of problems as I go I will keep them informed..

Estimate about 6 weeks work, kinda happy about that! :D

PS its more than just one board to change here and a bit of rewiring! I'm not that slow!!

Sponsored Links
Why is the board being changed before the dodgy cable?
Yes, I wondered that. I would have been inclined to replace the dodgy cables, one at a time, connecting them back to the old board as I went (with some spare cable length factored in!) and then, once all circuits were on decent cable, do a conventional, quick, board change - but maybe I'm missing something, or there are other factors we don't know about.

Kind Regards, John

The old board is pretty crammed and with all the delicate vir in there I think trying to replac one bit at a time and reconnect it into the existing bored for the time being, will be impossible without causing more damage to the other vir cables.

The old board is pretty crammed and with all the delicate vir in there I think trying to replac one bit at a time and reconnect it into the existing bored for the time being, will be impossible without causing more damage to the other vir cables.
Fair enough. In that case, your method is probably the way to go - although you'll still presumably have to play in the old board to disconnect circuits as you replace them (unless you can lock off the fuses or whatever somehow).

Kind Regards, John

Take some larger oversleeving, to go over the insulation, last resort at least you can sleeve over the crumbled insulation if needbe to get you by till the next day

Also be very weary about access and discon times. Having worked in hotels they tend to have very little down time and they won't stop doing guest churn for your work.

Daft things like main runways away from the board being in areas that might be fire escape or high density foot traffic could come back and haunt you.

I'd be inclined to spend as much time as it takes investigating the vir routes and the ease of change before going anywhere in to the real work.

Can't really see any difference between the two really. Change the board and you're disturbing them all anyway, probably more so than replacing one at a time.

Id be inclined to trace all vir cables to where ever they go and run new cables, ready for a change over in areas agreed with hotel management.
Is there room to mount new board beside existing, even temp fitted, until old board disconnected.

I'm going to mount the new board next to the old one and connect the new submain to it. Then I can replace one circuits vir at a time, and re connect it into the new board.

Luckily the management are very good, it's a small family run hotel, and have closed it for this week, and will then close it as and when I require. Started yesterday lifting floor boards, runs are pretty good so far and I'm pleasantly surprised,not too many joint boxes etc under the floor, so hopefully won't be too much of a PITA job!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back