best multi function tester?

The natural conconclusion to be drawn is that RCDs should be tested at 2x to ensure they operate faster than 200ms, until we get the new GN3 we can't be 100%, but I'd say if you tested at 1x and 5x and the result was sub 0.2 for both, then there is no reason a 2x reading would not also be sub 200ms, I heard a rumour that the first admendment might change things in this area as well, so its a case of holding on and seeing
Checks spec of existing RCD analyser.

Finds it will do x½, x1, x2 x5, and ramp, and at x2 it's looking for a 150ms time.

Feels relieved.

PS - it says "16th" on it, so just goes to show..

Sponsored Links
What RCD tester do you have ban?

(and don't say a collection of resisters and tyristers, some descrete logic to fire the gate on the correct one and a 'scope.... :LOL: :) )

And I didn't know they generally looked for any time themselves? merely reported the time the device operated in, allowing you to compare that with requirements? (unless yours has an additional pass/fail indicator on it?)

I like most the stuff made by Megger too :D , the MFT 1552 is a nice bit of kit bar the backlight times out too quick sometimes.

Sponsored Links
No x2 test in 3A in the DPC.

Wish they'd get a move on with Amd 1 so I can buy a copy... ;)

Hmm, I'd missed that reference, Ding

So thats taken from BSEN61008 and BSENEN61009 requireing operation at 2x in 150ms (which explains the setting on bans tester)

One would assume that there ought to be some testing done to make sure the device meets the BSEN (though I'd assume if you'd tested at 1x and 5x and both were sub 150ms then 2x will be as well?)

The regulations refering to supp. prection against direct contact and carelessness by morons bearing power drills don't reference 2x though, only 5x, unlike the table of disconnect time, which references the 2x parameter in relation to TT systems, I suppose you could also argue that the 2x parameter is not relevant to TN systems? (just thinking out loud here)

Talking about 2x in TT systems, its not a solid thing it would seem, what its trying to get at it seems, is a fault similar in magnatude to one thats likely to occur, and its quite likely that 5x would be a better choice than 2x in a lot of cases?

some discussion here: http://www.theiet.org/Forums/forum/...5&threadid=22453&highlight_key=y&keyword1=rcd

Also interesting is the megger site here:
http://www.megger.com/uk/story/Index.php?ID=233
makes no mention of a 2x RCD test and states that all their instruments met the testing requirements of BS7671:2008 despite the fact that some of their most popular instruments lack a 2x setting

hmm... whens GN3 due out? I have a feeling we won't know for sure what exactly is required until then....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back