Best Non Vapour Acoustic Underlay?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking for recommendations for the best acoustic non vapour underlay.

Sponsored Links
Sorry. It is engineered wood on top of chipboard. It is an upper floor.

I was tending towards Duralay Timbermate Duratex, but It is only 3.6mm thick and I need 6mm in order to bring the level up where the engineered floor meets a tiled floor.

I am now thinking of Novostrat Supreme Sonic Gold Acoustic 6mm Underlay. Although it has a vapour barrier I assume that this won't affect matters on an upper floor? I also favour an acoustic underlay.

Tredair Technics has also been recommended to me.

What is the best between the two? Is there anything better?

Have you considered 4mm Hardbard and then the Duratex?

Alternatively a 6mm Laminate/Engineered Underlay will be just fine, it's not recommended to lay one with a DPM in any area of wood subfloor, but what you choose to do is your business, weigh up the likely consequences etc.

The transition profile between the two areas will deal with any minor height difference.

Sponsored Links
What do you mean by weigh up the likely consequences? What are the likely consequences?

I have read that some flooring manufacturers are requiring that underlay with a foil DPM should even be used on a chipboard floating floor above the concrete floor.

What harm would there be in using a foil backed underlay on upper chipboard floors? Could there perhaps even be a benefit in that the foil could reflect the heat back into the room?

It's generally suggested that the vapour membrane may in some circumstances cause moisture/condensation to form and cause moisture damage to the wood.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back