best paint method for wooden window frames - moisture prob.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
dear all

I have been slowly but surely renovating the internal face of my wooden window frames. The units are single glazed, which means that quite a bit of condensation forms on the glass and then runs down onto the wood. This eventually results in the paint peeling and the water getting underneath it and into the wood.
I have just stripped the kitchen frame back to bare wood. I would like to paint it in the best possible way to try and avoid having to do it again in 12 months. I have found this product and wondered what others thought of it:

http://www.international-paints.co.uk/details.php?productid=94&primerprep=1&surfaceid=48

My theory is that if it is waterproof, the water which settles on the top coat will be unable to penetrate the primer and hence the paint will not peel. Any ideas?

Also, is there anything better to use as a top coat? I have been using Dulux non-drip gloss (solvent) or Dulux professional gloss (solvent) on top of two coats of water-based dulux multi-surface primer.

Many thanks for your input.

Regards

Stu

Sponsored Links
Aluminium wood primer has very good adhesion to most surfaces but your main problem it water getting behind the coating and causing it to lift...Aluminuim primer adheres well..but it might not totally cure your problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back