1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Best protection for hardwood table

Discussion in 'Decorating and Painting' started by Nappa283, 14 Mar 2018.

1. Nappa283

Nappa283

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hello,

We have a hardwood dining room table (solid oak) which up till now has been covered by a practical, but not beautiful, plastic cover. We’d like to be able to have the table uncovered but it is bare untreated wood - we’re wondering what others have done and found to be both durable and easily maintained (if these are indeed both possible?!).
    As it’s a dinning room table, some food and drink is likely to be spilt even with using place mats and similar.
    Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: 14 Mar 2018
  2. domdee

domdee

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    glass top perhaps?

3. Sponsored Links
  4. Nappa283

Nappa283

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks domdee for your reply,

I had thought about a glass top - easy to clean and you still get to see the wood. The missus isn’t as keen... why? apparently ‘because’ is a perfectly legitimate response :ROFLMAO:

5. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    solid oak can be oiled and waxed. This will give your partner something to do every day after blackleading the grates and scrubbing the front doorstep.

Most woods could be treated with a matt (not gloss) varnish. I find the "diamond" floor varnishes very durable. For some reason I don't recall, oak is traditionally not varnished.

Glass table tops are reputedly indicators of cultural or social background.

6. Sponsored Links
  7. Nappa283

Nappa283

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks JohnD,

I’ll pass on your recommendations to the missus. If I suddenly stop replying to any future posts, it’s almost certainly due to a new patio appearing in the back garden (and me under it).

I do like the idea of a glass top and I’ve used oil for oak for outdoor projects to good effect but I’m not sure about the food and drink aspect as the Osmo Oil I’ve used definitely wasn’t for indoor use

8. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local