Full tins of paint do not make good paperweights.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Doing some work in the kitchen/diner I decided to put up 1400grade lining paper then paint over it.
Unrolling the paper on the dining room table the damn stuff is like sprung steel so I grab something heavy to stand on one end of it while I measure up - the 1.5ltr tin of paint I just bought will do.

Of course with the slightest of pulls the paint falls of the table onto the floor - which I hadn't sheeted up because I wasnt doing any painting or pasting, just measuring up ready to start the next morning. It was 9pm in the evening after all.

Paint tin explodes like a grenade and fires half a litre of vinyl matt beige across my solid oak floor and black rug, which is trapped underneath a heavy oak table with granite slab inserts and six chairs, and thus not easy to shift.
At least being in the dining room means I only have to drag the painted rug through the french doors into the garden where I have a hosepipe and outside tap ready.

Except I have three indoor cats who are very curious about the sudden frantic activity from their two legged food supplier, who love going out into the garden but have to be kept a very close eye on as one of them has worked out how to jump the fence into my cat-hating neighbours garden. And its now dark. And I'm covered in paint.

Luckily I was able to escape this ordeal with no damage save the loss of a tin of paint and several new grey hairs.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
That reminds me of a friend who was doing up parts of his house.

Having completed the kitchen, nice new units, white goods, the lot he moved onto another room and got to the point of painting. Came in late one evening and put the tin of paint, that he'd purchased earlier that day, down on the hob.

Which of course had been left on low from the wife cooking dinner earlier that evening. At some point in the night they were awoken by a loud bang (it was one of those metal tins with the metal clamps that have to be prised off). On going down into the kitchen they found paint dripping from every surface. The pressure from the cooking paint tin had actually burst the seam on the side of the tin.

I think he might have been crying when he told us the next day, and I think it made us cry also. We still wind him up about it, and its been nearly 10 years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back