Renting a van to clear a house several hundred miles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to get my late mum's house cleared, we're at opposite ends of the country from it and want a relatively small proportion of the contents, the rest will get house-cleared separately. A mate is happy to do the driving as we don't want to, for a reasonable fee - either down on the train and driving back, or driving both ways as various logistics dictate (availability, cost).

What I can't figure out is what size van to get. We're choosing between "extra large van" and Luton Van, the former may vary slightly so I don't know if it would be an XLWB extra high, or what... but a 4m van basically. I have no experience with just how much can be stored. Our plan is to fill the van with the things we prioritise, then continue with things we have some use for until it's full, then leave the rest behind for a house-clearance.

What I'm expecting us to have:
  • 2 quite large, traditional 3-piece suites
  • 1 70's sideboard
  • 1 quite large glass-fronted cabinet (like you'd put crystal glasses in top, with a sideboard underneath)
  • A 6-seater dining table + chairs
  • A harmonium (sort of like an organ, maybe 1/2 size of a piano)
  • A chaise lounge and a couple of old dining type chairs
  • A long coffee table
  • 3-4 of small wooden cabinets/shelves/tables
  • A petrol rotary push-mower
  • A bunch of boxes of books, ornaments, paintings, glasses, crockery
  • 2-3 light fittings
  • Some misc garden tools
It's by no means a whole house-full of stuff... no beds, wardrobes, most shelves and tables not being taken, lots of books remaining. Basically the nicer things or with sentimental value.
The main plus of a luton for me is the possibility the sofas would go in sideways but I don't know if they would.

Can anyone with experience, eyeball that list and give an educated guess if I'd be over-filling a Sprinter or similar? Or would be pushing even a Luton (total weight is likely not that much)? Or would easily expect to fit this much in even a regular Transit?
It's inconvenient I can't get down first to measure up but on the other hand we can be flexible - when the van's full we stop!

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Has to be a luton with tail lift and if you have some blankets,dust sheets,old duvets just to pad between the goods in transit can prevent damage also take some ropes to secure items to securing points inside vehicle,opps and a sack trolly,dolly or skids will help shifting stuff.Some van rentals can include these for a little extra.
Think about insurance if the removed goods are of value.

Good to hear your getting it sorted :!:

edit,take tools as the 6 seater table may be dismantled (legs off)

Ta. Yeah sheets and straps and ropes are on my list. Good point about tools though there are also some down there in the misc. items category. I assume it will come apart, it's not antique but not super new either.

The plus points for the Luton Vs Sprinter seem to be:
  1. More overall volume/capacity due to wider/taller
  2. Tail lift
  3. Wheel arches don't get in the way
Minus points:
  1. A bit more pricey
  2. Shorter (3.5m Vs 4.0m)
  3. Fuel economy - travelling 1000miles round-trip that adds up
  4. Can't find one to do a 1-way journey, with a Sprinter we can which means can have an easy train journey on the way down
  5. I assume it's less good to drive on a long motorway route... advice seems to be toddle along at 55/60?
Any more comments? Is the Luton the obvious choice to get more stuff in overall?

travelling 1000miles round-trip that adds up

In that case have a hotel break after loading up,you and your helper will deserve it then set off next day early and refreshed.

advice seems to be toddle along at 55/60?

just drive at a comfortable speed,its not a race.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Look at the cost of a "man with van"

A driver and strong mate may be experienced at this, and save you time and effort. They can share the driving for the return journey.

Quotes I got were comparable to hiring a van and a mate to drive it... Looks like fuel will be getting on for 50% of total cost!

Cheapest would be we hire the van and drive it which would save our own transport cost as well... We have to be down there for a week to sort it all out but we don't want to drive in Cornwall in holiday season ;)

Trading cost for convenience

I just went on to euopcar's site and it was about 250 to hire an 18cm van one way from reading to Coventry over 24 hours -308 for 48 hrs

I just went on to euopcar's site and it was about 250 to hire an 18cm van one way from reading to Coventry over 24 hours -308 for 48 hrs

Seems expensive.

upload_2017-6-19_18-59-40.jpeg

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Don't forget you have space over the cab where you can put cushions etc....
Last time I hired a Luton, I nearly got a 7.5 tonner as it was only a bit dearer. But Mrs S didn't fancy driving it...

Pricey but being able to go one way is handy... Shorter rental, less fuel, less grumpy mate!

If you get the one way hire, I'd factor in the insurance waiver cost, they seem to really scrutinise the car at the other end when its from a different hire place, I got stung for a small dent on the rear door that I expect was there when I picked it up but didn't notice, I never even had to reverse the van, let along hit anything!

If you hire, take close up photos at the collection point - before you have signed for it.
Get every small blemish.

Don't forget you have space over the cab where you can put cushions etc....
Last time I hired a Luton, I nearly got a 7.5 tonner as it was only a bit dearer. But Mrs S didn't fancy driving it...

Don't forget it's only us "old uns" who can drive 7.5 tonnes on our standard licence. Those who got their car licence after 1997 (or around that date, can't remember exactly) can only drive up to 3.5 tonnes, and have to take a further test to drive up to 7.5 tonnes (or tow a trailer!)

Ahem...yes, I forgot... Apologies to those without Grandfather rights. Flagellate me immediately....

Sponsored Links
Back