Best Saw for Solid Wood Install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just about to install my first solid wood floor and need to sort out what saws I will need to get a good result.

I am quite happy to had saw cutting the ends of the planks down to size as these will be under the skirting boards. I have a discount at the local hire shop and would it be worth hiring a bench saw for cutting along the length of any planks.

Also, I will have to cut around the curved stairwell, what is the best approach for doing this?

Any views gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks,

Damian

Sponsored Links
For general work something like a deWalt DW742 flip-over saw takes some beating. Not as accurate as a dedicated chop saw, although having a Trend AngleFix mitre guide will compensate for its deficiencies. It has a major advantage over the chop saw in that it vcan be used to rip down timber as well as crosscut.

Apparently a favoured tool of many hire shops

Scrit

Hi,

Thanks both for the responses.

What is the best way of undercutting the doors - will probably need to reduce them by 30 - 35mm. I'm also concerned that I might cut above the timber frame within the bottom of the door - any tips for getting around this?

Many thanks,

Damian

Sponsored Links
is the door a good fit at the top !!!!

train off thought here if its a cheap hollow door
buy a new door fit properly at the top taking off one third the total amount you have to remove then trim off at the bottom then hang door
this should be better ballanced and astheticly pleasing

if you do cut beyond the block at the bottom in either senario

take a beveled edge chisel clean the inside edge pushing the cardboard back as you go to about an inch
use a bit of 2by1" planed reduced to around28 ish[whatever the gap is]using a table saw or plane

Damian30 said:
What is the best way of undercutting the doors - will probably need to reduce them by 30 - 35mm.
I'm guessing you're putting flooring on top of old flooring :?: if so, best to remove it and fix the flooring to the joists for same level.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back